HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tata450

06 450f 4 speed?

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone new to this site, I have an 06 yz450f that blew 5th gear. I have an 04 yz 450 with a good tranny. I've looked up part numbers and everything seems pretty close. Will an 04 4 speed tranny drop right in to an 06?

Thanks

Pretty close?  Let's start with a brief education about Yamaha part numbers.  The correct input shaft for your '06 is the 1SL-17411-00-00.  That looks "pretty close" to both the 5EL-17411-00-00 and the 5AP-17411-00-00.  But the 5EL is for the 1100cc V-Star, and the 5AP is for the TTR-125.  See the problem?  Yamaha uses the "basic part number" system in which all 12180's are camshafts and all 17411's are transmission main shafts.  The first 3 characters identify the model it fits.

The answer to your question, then, is no.  The transmission from an '03-'05, whether it's the YZ 4 speed or a WR 5 speed, will not fit the cases of the '06-'09.  It's 12mm too narrow, among other things.

1 person likes this