HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atomic410

devol skid plate

12 posts in this topic

I bought a devol skid plate for my 2011 yz450.  I really don't see how it fits or installs.  The hook thing on the back doesn't seem to fit anywhere and the front clamp bolts 1 don't seem long enough and two where the hell does the bar that clamps go?  It doesn't seem to fit anywhere between the front of the motor and the back of the frame rails.  I'm totally confused on how this thing attaches.  Has anyone else had this issue?  Does anyone have a picture or instruction links/photos?  I tried to figure this thing out twice now and am still feeling like either it doesn't fit or I'm a total moron. The sticker on the plate has the correct part number.

I have the same skid plate on the same bike and didn't have any problems. There is one bolt on the bottom that I believe screws right into the bottom of you engine case and the big t looking thing slides in between your front frame rails and the engine and the skid plate bolts to it.

well that sounds totally different than mine.  Mine has a j style hook on the back held on to the bottom of the plate by 2 bolts and the front if you look down at it is a bar between the engine and frame and has 2 bolts so it makes a II shape.  I'm guessing that mine is mislabeled. 

The Devol for the '06-'09 models used the same three threaded holes that hang the OEM glide plate in place.  Seems like it should be the same on the newer bikes.

I have one of those also from my 07 its not the same.  The 10+ don't have those tabs welded on the inside of the two front frame rails thus the clamp that is basically a bar and 2 bolts that sandwich the frame rails between the plate and the bar.  But yeah the rear looks like it should mount the same and that's what got me thinking that this plate is labeled wrong since it has the j style clamp mount instead of just a slotted hole like the 07 one.  I sent devol tech assistance a email requesting a photo of the correct one.  I'm guessing this plate got labeled wrong.  

Mine goes on as you described the front has a bar that goes on the engine side of the front frame rails the skid plate obviously goes on the other side of the frame and you stick two bolts through the skid plate and they thread directly into the bar and sandwich the frame. The bottom just has one bolt. It sounds like you know how it should go on and your probably right it's the wrong one because even with out directions I could figure it out and I'm no mechanic. Lol

if some one doesn't help you out soon I can later tonight.

That would be sweet if its easier you can just email them to me or text them.  I can pm you the info if thats the way you would like to go.  Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.  

That would be sweet if its easier you can just email them to me or text them. I can pm you the info if thats the way you would like to go. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

ok figured you already figured it out you will have to give me at least until tomorrow heading to work and I have to dig it out its not on the bike.

No need to break your back about it since here in the tundra its about 10 degrees out and the riding season is in suspense until either ice or spring.  Thanks again 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By SndyRds
      For my 2001 XR650R
      Searched around, and found some information, but I need a little more.
      Looking at an after market tank, which works best? I plan to go with the red, and would like it to match the OEM color. I will be running a Scott's Damper , probably. Any clearance issues?
      What range are you averaging with a 4.3 gal?
      I have considered the seven gal behemoth from acerbis , though it looks too wide for my tastes. Though extra fuel is good, but adds weight. Yes I know you can run it low, so why not a smaller tank?
      I've had natural colored tanks before, but I'm not racing so no need to check level, on the fly.
      Pictures would be great!!!
      Anxious to find out what the BRP heads are using, and what works.
      Thanks,
    • By philipstjohn
      I am wondering how many use the 4.6 tank? Is it bulky feeling when full, and how well does the design utilize all the fuel in the tank? Do you need to really tilt it over to get the fuel in the "reserve" over to the other side? Please comment if you can. Thanks...
    • By Crunch406
      I searched and couldn't find a similar thread. Modding season is upon us.I cleaned and oiled my air filter, changed my 13 tooth cs to a 14, cleaned and lubed the chain, changed the oil and filter, and installed my Battery Tender. It was a good day. Tomorrow, I ride.
    • By daisyup
      I have a 2007 Suzuki DRZ400sm, and I want a bigger gas tank.
      I conducted a "gas tank" search on this forum, read every thread, and my brain is going crazy trying to make a decision on a larger tank...
      Let's Review, Shall We?:
      1. IMS & Clarke 3.2 tanks
      They look good, but only add 1/2 a gallon (22/23 miles). I know, every drop helps.
      Conclusion=damned good looking, but you don't get much further down the road, and you are now without a locking gas tank....
      2. Clarke 3.9 tank
      Adds 1.2 gallons-which is great-but, it's U-G-L-Y (it looks like there is a volcano between your legs:eek:. I believe it to be the sensible choice, however I am having trouble reaching the "acceptance" portion of the "denial>anger>bargaining>depression>acceptance" process.........
      In my defense for being blatantly style conscious, I cite many 3.9ers who refer to their tank as a "ball buster" (does that mean it's uncomfortable?). Plus, we have the no locking gas tank issue.....
      3. IMS 4.0 tank.
      It looks pretty good to me, adds plenty of extra fuel, but some posts mention problems with installation/fit and consistent tank fabrication/quality... Also, I am interested in the ergonomics of the IMS 4.0.
      Could someone with one of these tanks will you please chime in with regards to installation, fit, and ergonomics of this tank? Again, no gas tank lock.
      4. Acerbis 4.25 tank.
      Decent looking, not as "volcano-ish" as the Clarke 3.9. Has great fuel capacity. Has a locking gas tank Apparently you can keep the horn, but must remove the fan. I like this tank, but, am concerned about the fan problem, and about ergonomics/comfort. Could someone discuss their experience on the fan and ergonomic issues?
      5. Safari tank.
      Big, not bad looking. One serious gas tank. How is the installation/bike fit, and ergonomics?
      6. Clarke 3.6 tank
      I love this tank. Has anyone been able to fit it onto an sm? How did you do it? What mods?
      My priorities, in order, are:
      >Ergonomics- how does it feel? not too wide and bulky, keeping within the spirit of the nimble and trim nature of the DRZ400sm),
      >Installation/appropriate fit for the sm model - I'm not afraid to do mods, I just want them to to be possible.
      >Function/quality-more gallons, sturdy plastic
      >Style-when you look good, you feel good:banana:
      >Price.
      I like the Clarke 3.6, Acerbis 4.25, and IMS 4.0 tanks the best.
      Could owners of these tank please tell me about installation, ergonomics, and photos!
      Thanks in advance,
      Sara:ride: