Video shows hints of next WR450F or WR450FX?

Sweet! I'll probably be looking for a leftover 2016 in 2018 since I just bought my 2012 in late 2013.

It might just be the music, but that video revs my heart slightly. Note the backwards engine design... As far as being (not just feeling) much lighter than the current WR, I will believe it when I see it. And then buy it probably.

Exhaust is a no-no for real offroad. 

Did y'all notice the motor in all it's backwards glory? I think this pretty much clinches it that the WR450 will get the same treatment the 250 got. Though it begs the question, if this is the 2015 Rally bike, when will the standard WR450 be out, and why wasn't it announced alongside the 250? Stagger the releases for more hype around each maybe?

Did y'all notice the motor in all it's backwards glory? I think this pretty much clinches it that the WR450 will get the same treatment the 250 got. Though it begs the question, if this is the 2015 Rally bike, when will the standard WR450 be out, and why wasn't it announced alongside the 250? Stagger the releases for more hype around each maybe?

A marketing ploy to get all the 450 faithful to balk and buy the new 250 hotness, followed by the late-announced 450 that everyone wanted in the first place. Probably see a bunch of less than year-old YZ250FXs on the market when it does come out.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY OF THE DETAILS JUST BRING IT TO MARKET ALREADY GDAM IT

I DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY OF THE DETAILS JUST BRING IT TO MARKET ALREADY GDAM IT

LOL... but agree, let's see the bikes already!

The 450 has not had the same reviews as the 250 for the YZ...I hope it won't be true for the WR.

I'm worried the "new" motor is a step backwards.

I'm worried the "new" motor is a step backwards.

I see what you did there... lol

Wait, you were making a pun, right? The new backwards motor is definitely NOT a step backwards. Look no further than Yamaha dominating MX Lites this year. And many said the YZF450 had the best motor this year, Yamaha just doesn't have the best riders in the 450 class. I'd almost bet money at this point that other manufacturers may start to copy this, as it makes a whole bunch of sense when you understand why they did it, and the benefits it gives.

My 2013 WR has a great motor. I wonder why Yamaha has left the backwards motor out of the WR for so long? Once that question is answered I might embrace the new YZ motor in the WR a little sooner. That said, eventually I'll accept it but it's got to be more than re-tuned YZ motor.

My 2013 WR has a great motor. I wonder why Yamaha has left the backwards motor out of the WR for so long? Once that question is answered I might embrace the new YZ motor in the WR a little sooner. That said, eventually I'll accept it but it's got to be more than re-tuned YZ motor.

I don't know that I'd say 'for so long'. IIRC, the YZF450 first got the backwards motor in 2010? The WR450 got it's big update in 2012, so why they chose to stick with the old motor vs backwards one then is anybody's guess. But the WR has been unchanged since, and is now due for another update, and so the backwards motor make sense. The frame & suspension etc are still current, and it already has FI so that seems like the next logical step.

That and Yamaha seems to be upping their game in off road racing, judging by the new YZF250FX and updated WR250F, so it would also make sense they'd want to do the same with the 450.

That's 5 production years the YZ motor has been left out of the WR. When Honda introduced the 450X, it was far more than just a re-tuned 450R motor. Honda knew a re-tuned MX motor without beefier gears and different ratios, for example,  wouldn't make it in the off road world and the run on the 450X is 10 years now. The entire bottom end is completely different between the X and R 450's. So the backwards feature is about the only thing the motor should share probably between the YZFX/WR and YZ 450's.

Good Yamaha is finally paying attention to racing again. It was heart breaking to see riders like Russ Pearson get screwed by Yamaha's withdrawal from off road racing. I've still not forgiven Yamaha for what was done back then but I'm happy to see a sincere effort by Yamaha once again.

I think cannondale had a FI backwards motor back in the day but they never really caught on.

I think cannondale had a FI backwards motor back in the day but they never really caught on.

Yeah, and so did DKW (1939) Yamaha (1970)  Honda (1968), and about 10 dozen american motorcycle brands from 1905 - 1925......................it's not the backwards part (intake in the front for maximum air intake speed) that is the issue, it's the centralization of mass. 

Just remember thinking it was cool.  Wasn't a lot of fuel injected dirt bikes around back then.

That's 5 production years the YZ motor has been left out of the WR. When Honda introduced the 450X, it was far more than just a re-tuned 450R motor. Honda knew a re-tuned MX motor without beefier gears and different ratios, for example,  wouldn't make it in the off road world and the run on the 450X is 10 years now. The entire bottom end is completely different between the X and R 450's. So the backwards feature is about the only thing the motor should share probably between the YZFX/WR and YZ 450's.

Exactly, Coob. 

Yeah, and so did DKW (1939) Yamaha (1970)  Honda (1968), and about 10 dozen american motorcycle brands from 1905 - 1925......................it's not the backwards part (intake in the front for maximum air intake speed) that is the issue, it's the centralization of mass. 

Centralization of mass huh must be talking bout my old S90 s90_zps99e83faf.jpg

Centralization of mass huh must be talking bout my old S90 s90_zps99e83faf.jpg

CZ tank?

SL  forks and shocks?

Pretty trick for 7 hp!