G-Damm it Yamaha, I expect to see the YZ450FX by spring, OK?

Go to YouTube

Search 'Jawbone Canyon' 

No, this is not typical, but if you cut that hill in half, it is more than typical.

Silt on top of granite. 

No heavy rider can do it on a 250 unless he has mad skills. I can't buy skills. I buy bikes.

Track bikes are spewing water at the top, with glowing headers and half gone tires.

Search " Redona Ridge"

This is one of the guys I ride with ("with" is kind of an exageration...I start with him, then catch up....).

Ralphy rides one of everything, and this CR250R is getting hammered to death, and will need a new clutch and new piston by the end of the ride.

The rear tire will be a carcass of rubber, unuseable at the end of the day.

No this is not typical of all SoCal trails, but if you dumb it down about 15% that is SoCal, all the way, every day, all day.

SoCal is where ALL the factories test their bikes and riders.

You hit the nail on the head.

It takes several rides or more just to get to the hills. That's if you are a good rider.

We usually spend the Thanksgiving week at Jawbone cyn.

Right next to the wall. All is invited. Especially our PNW group. Last year we had one of our Mis placed Oregonan's come down for the week.

We usually spend the Thanksgiving week at Jawbone cyn.

Right next to the wall. All is invited. Especially our PNW group. Last year we had one of our Mis placed Oregonan's come down for the week.

It's an eye-opener for the Wood's guys......not that I don't like, and prefer woods, but we got what we got.

It's an eye-opener for the Wood's guys......not that I don't like, and prefer woods, but we got what we got.

If you go up the road from Jawbone you get into the piute mountains.

If you go up the road from Jawbone you get into the piute mountains.

Yes, the Piutes separate the Men from the Real Men. No boys can make it. 

I have ridden up there twice, staging out of Keene, and it was Rad Ah Cul. 

Yes, the Piutes separate the Men from the Real Men. No boys can make it. 

I have ridden up there twice, staging out of Keene, and it was Rad Ah Cul. 

Ah yes and another nice canyon is Lone Tree which is just before you get to Jawbone on the 14. Some nice trails in that one too.

Let's talk about what Yamaha could do. http://www.sportrider.com/sportbikes/2015-yamaha-yzf-r1m-first-look

They give the street bike guys a near Moto GP bike with 200 crank HP, Ohlins suspension, carbon fiber goodies, titanium rods, and lots of trick electronic goods stock. Well that's just to name a few. All for under or around $20,

So what is proposed to us in a six speed isn't that trick after all :(

Our WA friend needs to stop while he's ahead :)

I ride up and down the coast, in all states and Mexico......EVERY state has the GNAR....just gotta find it.

I also have multiple bikes, smokers and thumpers in various sizes.  They all can pretty much be made to go anywhere, but some are easier in certain places.  I keep a KTM 525 in San Diego for the deserts, prolly wouldn't want the 125 there.

I'm 6' 190lbs so I fit a broader range of bikes than a bigger guy, there's no replacement for displacement....

I'd love to buy blue.  Let's see it Yamaha! :thumbsup:

Edited by Slackkinhard

I ride up and down the coast, in all states and Mexico......EVERY state has the GNAR....just gotta find it.

I also have multiple bikes, smokers and thumpers in various sizes.  They all can pretty much be made to go anywhere, but some are easier in certain places.  I keep a KTM 525 in San Diego for the deserts, prolly wouldn't want the 125 there.

I'm 6' 190lbs so I fit a broader range of bikes than a bigger guy, there's no replacement for displacement....

I was wondering when/if you would chime in.  Here is a guy that flies down here and joins us in the desert and rides all of the gnarly single track.  Then posts pics of his adventures up in WA.  you riding slut :smirk:

When is the date for your next visit :thinking:

I was wondering when/if you would chime in.  Here is a guy that flies down here and joins us in the desert and rides all of the gnarly single track.  Then posts pics of his adventures up in WA.  you riding slut :smirk:

When is the date for your next visit :thinking:

I fly in to SD on Nov 24th. :banana:

I like seeing the videos from all over.  Many places I'll never get to ride.

Video from my neck of the woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJ01RMyM6g

I doubt it's gonna happen but if it does, I'm picking one up.

I fly in to SD on Nov 24th. :banana:

Hey that's the date for Jawbone. If you had any inclination for it your invited.

Some of our past and present cohort's from and around the PNW that came or still come down to Jawbone for Thanksgiving. In case anyone knows them are the Dopey brothers excellent riders also known as Jared and his bro also known as Gemini concrete pumping Eugene, OR. give him credit for developing trails in Jawbone.  Zinfandel or known as Sidney from around Bend OR. came down last year and Alaska Dan well from Alaska takes a good whooping but keeps on talking we love em like that.

There is also a contingent in Nevada now known as the the Kiwi bird and the Mouth.

I know this isn't directly related to the discussion but it's close.

Why are so many of the new models 250 only? I bought A 2012 wr250r/x with dirt wheels and supermoto wheels/brakes for terrorizing the streets, and can't help but wish it was a 450. Seems like a mildly tuned 450 could pull taller gears get 50-60 mpg still, have more yank out of turns and be basically just as light(heavy).

What is the reasoning with this??

Why are so many of the new models 250 only? I bought A 2012 wr250r/x with dirt wheels and supermoto wheels/brakes for terrorizing the streets, and can't help but wish it was a 450. Seems like a mildly tuned 450 could pull taller gears get 50-60 mpg still, have more yank out of turns and be basically just as light(heavy).

Good question, Yamaha does what it does in slow form. They are wagging the KTM dogs tail looking at what they do then coming up with something in the rears. Behind them so to speak.

We all know looking at the new street moto GP inspired YZF R1M what technology they currently have on the table.

Dear Yamaha, why not be ahead of the curve. You can easily do it.

I doubt it's gonna happen but if it does, I'm picking one up.

Do not jinx this, you HOSER

Good question, Yamaha does what it does in slow form. They are wagging the KTM dogs tail looking at what they do then coming up with something in the rears. Behind them so to speak.

We all know looking at the new street moto GP inspired YZF R1M what technology they currently have on the table.

Dear Yamaha, why not be ahead of the curve. You can easily do it.

Pffffttt.....

Do not jinx this, you HOSER

I'm sorry haha. I just think they are really focusing on other things.

Why are the scarce?

Because not everyone can handle a 450.

It is slower in the slow technical sections. Rider skill this, reciprocating mass that, it's still slower in the tight turns. Not by a large margin though. It is however more forgiving in a taller gear and will pull you up almost anything in 2nd. You can be lazy on a 450.

I feel like I was faster downhill on my WRR because the weight offered more traction and I can still be a weenie when there are logs across an eroded hillside section.

Everywhere else the 450 shines.

I'm getting around 44mpg with mine uncorked. If I'm not mistaken the WR450F is actually LIGHTER than that WRR.

A quick google search puts the WRR at 295 wet and the WR450 at 273.

I had a WRR earlier this yeah and after it was totaled friends talked me into a 450. I have yet to regret the decision. Especially when I can pick up a new 2012 WR450F for $1,400 less out the door than a 2014 WR250R.

2014 WRR-Totalled

2012 WR450F-Stolen

2012 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

Why are the scarce?

Because not everyone can handle a 450.

It is slower in the slow technical sections. Rider skill this, reciprocating mass that, it's still slower in the tight turns. Not by a large margin though. It is however more forgiving in a taller gear and will pull you up almost anything in 2nd. You can be lazy on a 450.

I feel like I was faster downhill on my WRR because the weight offered more traction and I can still be a weenie when there are logs across an eroded hillside section.

Everywhere else the 450 shines.

I'm getting around 44mpg with mine uncorked. If I'm not mistaken the WR450F is actually LIGHTER than that WRR.

A quick google search puts the WRR at 295 wet and the WR450 at 273.

I had a WRR earlier this yeah and after it was totaled friends talked me into a 450. I have yet to regret the decision. Especially when I can pick up a new 2012 WR450F for $1,400 less out the door than a 2014 WR250R.

2014 WRR-Totalled

2012 WR450F-Stolen

2012 WR450F-Third bikes the charm.

WRR has something like a 27,000 mile valve adjustment interval. Try that on a WR-F. Helps to explain the weight differences. WRR still kicks the crap out of a XRL or DR650 for trail riding with some road connections thrown in. Compared to a DRZ.... I dunno. Anyway, back to a real trail bike consideration the YZFX. :thumbsup:

WRR has something like a 27,000 mile valve adjustment interval. Try that on a WR-F. Helps to explain the weight differences. WRR still kicks the crap out of a XRL or DR650 for trail riding with some road connections thrown in. Compared to a DRZ.... I dunno. Anyway, back to a real trail bike consideration the YZFX. :thumbsup:

My WR valves are not on the move after 10,000 miles of some hard supermoto abuse.