HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nd4spdbh

2012+ WR450F coolant overflow... should there be some coolant in there?

13 posts in this topic

Just as the title states, on the 2012+ WR450's should there be some coolant in the overflow tank? I just bought a new 2014 WR450 and while the main radiator is full and topped off the overflow tank has nothing in it.

Thanks!

Catch is for when coolant boils over and then can be sucked back onto radiator when motor cools. As long as rad is full and system is prime it should be good. Mine always carries just under half full in overflow when cold. Never had any overflow or Overcook problems.

Just as the title states, on the 2012+ WR450's should there be some coolant in the overflow tank? I just bought a new 2014 WR450 and while the main radiator is full and topped off the overflow tank has nothing in it.

Thanks!

It should be empty

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure there is a fill line on the reservoir tank.  Fill it to that.  Mine always has coolant in it.

Edited by mch
3 people like this

yup thats what i thought, i looked and there looks to definitely be a fill to line. Ill talk to the sealership tomorrow when i pick up my GYTR ecu.... they can throw me a quart of the engine ice they used. 

The is no purpose to having fluid in the overflow unless your overflow overflows....and that would mean you probably have a cooling system failure, and it would just keep boiling over, solving nothing.

I keep an inch (about 2 ounces) in my bikes with the overflow tank. If the bike is cold and less than an inch of fluid is there, I know I am loosing coolant. Having some there ensures that my radiator is completely full and it keeps the line purged of air.

BTW, a dry engine cooling system will not take a whole quart of coolant.

2 people like this

It should be empty

I disagree although it's not that a big deal.

I like to have some coolant in the overflow reservoir when the engine is cold. When coolant is visible you always know that the rad is completely full at a glance without having to open the rad cap.

2 people like this

I disagree although it's not that a big deal.

I like to have some coolant in the overflow reservoir when the engine is cold. When coolant is visible you always know that the rad is completely full at a glance without having to open the rad cap.

This could be true.

Mine always finds it's "happy spot" at about 1/3 of the catch can. As has already been said, I like to see it as I then am comfortable that my rads are full. Verified every few rides when the bike is cold and can open the rad cap.