HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kcizik

Regulator rectifier

6 posts in this topic

So, one of parts I had to buy to get this bike running was a regulator rectifier. I'm aware of the AC/dc outputs of it and what they supply. However I burn out light bulbs each time I use it. I put a meter on the headlight to see what I had there. It was 13.5v at idle and over 18v at high rpm. So to me it seems it's not regulating. Does that mean it's bad, or is there other causes? What could it be?

I also have a spare stator, but I rather not pull it unless I knew that it was the cause.

If you've replace the R/R and still having issues, typically the cause is a poor ground or corroded connector. Typically, these are near impossible to trace with a meter as they only show up under load. So the solution is to disconnect  every wire and plug, clean and ensure good contact.

Ok, so I checked over every ground. I even ran a new one directly to the rr. I'm still having the same problem. I'm burning out bulbs faster than before.

Here's my point of confusion. The headlight is AC. The stator has a separate coil for this. Does that AC current pass through the rr? Or is that only dc? How can I be certain that it's the rr that's bad, not the stator?

The AC passes thru the r/r. Sounds like your r/r is bad, too much voltage means your stator is working properly you just arent regulating it.

The AC passes thru the r/r. Sounds like your r/r is bad, too much voltage means your stator is working properly you just arent regulating it.

Simple yet effective explanation. Thanks, I'll just grab a new one.