04 WR450 wont start

I last ran it a few weeks ago after I put the Tusk enduro kit on so I could check the headlight for hi/low beam. It ran fine. I then changed the wheel bearings and had it inspected Friday. Put the plate on it and charged the battery (left the power button on on the bike overnight). Wont start today. Starter motor just cranks and cranks. The Shorai battery is putting out 12.5 volts. I pulled hte fuel line at the carb and fuel is flowing to the carb, so it has to be something from there. REALLY dont want to have to pull it apart since I am just learning about the bike (may give me a reason to learn more I guess). I would check for spark, but not sure how to get to the plug w/o pulling the tank. Looked like a tight fit.

Any usual suspects or suggestions before I get further into it?

TIA!

Quinn

Does the tailpipe smell like gas?

Seriously? Not sure of this is a "change the wiper fluid fuse" type of thing for someone new to this motor. :-)

But I do understand that unburnt fuel would pass through.

EDIT: Slight fuel smell in the pipe. Certainly not overwhelming at all.

Edited by qposner

Seriously? Not sure of this is a "change the wiper fluid fuse" type of thing for someone new to this motor. :-)

But I do understand that unburnt fuel would pass through.

EDIT: Slight fuel smell in the pipe. Certainly not overwhelming at all.

If you smell unburnt fuel, you have flodded it.

Kick it over 10-15 times wide open, with the kill button on

If the bike sat for more than two weeks

If you smell unburnt fuel, you have flodded it.

Kick it over 10-15 times wide open, with the kill button on

If the bike sat for more than two weeks

Gotcha. Just like in my race car when flooded. Foot to the floor and crank it over.

Quick question: When you say "kick it over," do you mean with the kickstarter, or is the e start ok?

Also, when you say kill button on, do you mean just make sure the main power button is on? Or do you mean main power button on and hold the kill switch down? 

Thanks for your help!

Quinn

Gotcha. Just like in my race car when flooded. Foot to the floor and crank it over.

Quick question: When you say "kick it over," do you mean with the kickstarter, or is the e start ok?

Also, when you say kill button on, do you mean just make sure the main power button is on? Or do you mean main power button on and hold the kill switch down? 

Thanks for your help!

Quinn

I mean kick or estart

I mean no fire/spark

I would check your tusk  bar switch for shorting or maybe it has an integrated kill switch

No integrated kill switch. There are two switches. One is an on/off deal that allows power to the horn, brake light and turn signal. It is off DC only. The other is for the headlight only and is in the AC current. 

My guess is Im just not used to starting a 4 stroke and gave it some gas when I should not have, thereby flooding it. Ill turn the main power on, push in the kill switch and crank it 10-12 times like you suggested. At that point, let go of the kill switch button, choke it and crank it without adding fuel. Hope it lights. Sound ok?

No joy. Battery nearly dead from 30 seconds of cranking combined. Kick doesnt do anything aside from hurt my toe.

Going to have to check for spark. Irritating.

Yeah, never hold the starter button for more than 5 sec at a time, or you could burn the starter brushes out.

Why does it hurt your toe? Are you a Pansie, or are you trying to kick it in flip-flops??

Time to pull the tank and check for spark. 8 bolts.

Yeah, never hold the starter button for more than 5 sec at a time, or you could burn the starter brushes out.

Why does it hurt your toe? Are you a Pansie, or are you trying to kick it in flip-flops??

Ha! No. Had some closed toe Birkenstock house shoes on. Hard sole, but not really supporting. Got what I deserved.

And I didnt hold it for more the a few seconds per attempt. It had to be 30 combined. Ill pull the tank and plug tonight and report back. I assume I can check it like I would any plug. Lay it on the head.

• Like 1

Its not spark. BEfore taking the tank off I shot a small amount of starter fluid into it (I know, I know...just wanted to check) and it fired up on the 3rd kick (battery nearly dead from yesterday). It ran for about two minutes before dying. So, Im think its a fuel supply problem and perhaps the carb needs to come out and be cleaned up. Probably dump the fuel as well as its months old at least.

However, it ran for two minutes so it was getting fuel for a bit. Bad petcock? Is there a fuel filter in line that could be clogged?

Edited by qposner

Got it running. Not sure if I had the fuel on or not and it may have died after burning through what was in the float bowl.

Felt a little rough riding it down the road though. Kinda like it wanted to stumble a bit. Could just be me since Im not used to riding on the street, much less a 4 stroke enduro on the street. Anyhow, its running now. Over the winter I will go through the carb. Thanks for all of your help

UGH! Its me again fellas. As mentioned, I got the 04 wr450 running off a quick shot of starter fluid two nights ago. It then died a bit later after it burned through though the fuel in the bowl. I was then able to start it again with three twist to get a little fuel in the carb, the choke open, and three kicks. Ran it a few miles, brought it home and parked it in the garage with the fuel off (did not allow it to burn through what was in the bowl as I figure that shouldnt matter if I ride it enough).

When I got home from work this evening I choked it and tried to start it. Nothing. Turned the choke off. Nothing. Turned the fuel on and tried with choke and no choke. Nothing. Twisted wide open. Nothing. Quick shot of starter fluid, fired right up.

So, this is certainly a fuel problem of some sort as itll light off the starter fluid and then run off the fuel (albeit a touch rough I thought). I just dont get what is going on. It gets fuel once fired, but nothing when trying to start it. Cant imagine it is flooded every time. Any suggestions?

EDIT - NEVERMIND. I PULLED THE PLUG AND IT LOOKED SERIOUSLY OLD. PUT A NEW PLUG IN AND IT FIRED RIGHT UP. 

Edited by qposner