HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrjata

should I trade?

5 posts in this topic

Got a kid wanting to trade his YZ450F for my YFZ450 quad(that I spent the winter going over and through).  What do you think?  Should I?  Bit if a difference in asking prices.  He wants $2450 and I want $3500.  I am throwing in new rear paddles, new front sand tires and douglas rear wheels.

Let me know what you think.

love this site!!

DSCN0608.JPG

yz450f.jpg

Not to be quad racist but on the good side you'd be trading a bike for a quad.

The bad side is quads are generally worth more money. And you just went through it so you know exactly what condition it's in.

Also I would be worried when you say "some kid". How did the kid take care of it? Probably not as well as a seasoned rider would but who really knows

1 person likes this

Not to be quad racist but on the good side you'd be trading a bike for a quad.

The bad side is quads are generally worth more money. And you just went through it so you know exactly what condition it's in.

Also I would be worried when you say "some kid". How did the kid take care of it? Probably not as well as a seasoned rider would but who really knows

You are right, for sure.  I figure I will have to "go through " this one too.  I just can't find a home for the quad outright.  atleast I can ride the bike.  Oh, well, winter is on the way.  guess I always need a winter project.

anything I should look for other than the obvious on bikes?  Anything specific to this beast?  Not a real 4 stroke guy.  Help an old fart out here....

Maintenance makes all the difference. Regular, or at least frequent, oil changes, a regimen of air filter service that includes a clean element nearly every ride in any kind of dusty conditions.  Often, the little things you can see will tell a lot.  Missing bolts, mismatched bolts replacing the originals, bolt heads rounded by careless use of tools, things taped or zip-tied out of position... Stuff like that.

Maintenance makes all the difference. Regular, or at least frequent, oil changes, a regimen of air filter service that includes a clean element nearly every ride in any kind of dusty conditions.  Often, the little things you can see will tell a lot.  Missing bolts, mismatched bolts replacing the originals, bolt heads rounded by careless use of tools, things taped or zip-tied out of position... Stuff like that.

Oh, sure that stuff is a given.  I look at wear patterns too.  I just wondered what I should look for or know about the 450 4 cycle.  A bike is a bike after that.  I know they are noisy.  I think I can fix that or come real close.  Have worked on Harleys a lot over my 50 years.  What are some of the idiosyncrasies of this beast?