Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulsedg3

Spiral metal thing coming outta exhaust header?

10 posts in this topic

I'm a bit freaked out, i posted this on yz450 forum, but was hoping to get a bit of input from people.   So i took my silencer off and repacked it tonight.    When i took the silencer off, i noticed this long....spiral, metal thing coming out of the header and sticking outta the end where it ties into silencer pipe.     Its spiral, its metal.   i tried lightly yanking on it, and it didn't come out.     The previous owner had cut down the silencer by at least 3 inches from what i can tell.   

I have absolutely no idea what this is, anyone, help me out here??

twistthing_zps75720ce9.jpg

Grey power band. Swap it out for a blue one and you'll be good too go! Seriously... Pull. The header off and get rid of whatever that is and don't worry about it. Post a better pic when you get it apart.

CoKTM

1 person likes this

Nope no kids here. I found out what it was.....posting a pic in a minute

Edited by soulsedg3

So evidentally the gasket between cylinder and header is like a spiral type metal gasket?     The guy i bought bike from, recently rebuilt the kickstart gears and while it was apart put new rings in it.   Well i'm guessing he used the old gasket?  or made something up to put in there?     either way, the thing coming out my header, was the gasket thingy unraveling!!

Pics...

spiral_gasket_zps616a40c9.jpg

header_gasket_zps01e75e2f.jpg

exhaustgasket_zps6504aea7.jpg

Yup, looks like that gasket. I've never seen one end up like that. Pretty ham fisted. Perhaps it was already beat up and when he cranked down on the header it simply squished out the rest of the way. Did you have a exhaust leak noticeable at the head?

So evidentally the gasket between cylinder and header is like a spiral type metal gasket?     The guy i bought bike from, recently rebuilt the kickstart gears and while it was apart put new rings in it.   Well i'm guessing he used the old gasket?  or made something up to put in there?     either way, the thing coming out my header, was the gasket thingy unraveling!!

Pics...

header_gasket_zps01e75e2f.jpg

Slice your hands up a little tugging on it?

Edited by davidhar

LOL!    nah guys.  thats the red silicone i used to seal the silencer lol.  i used that rag to wipe off the excess. LMAO!