Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mattpann

2012 wr450f bearing locked up

33 posts in this topic

Hi all

I have a 2012 wr450 and when i was riding it yesterday just before I got home I lost some power(It was only running about 3/4 as good as it should) I turned it off and left it. Today when I went to start it it wouldn't go. Check fuel and spark didn't have any spark. I replaced the spark plug and checked all good. But now it runs but it is like it locks up and stops it seams like the spark wasn't the problem it was like the starter motor couldn't turn it fast enough to create spark. I finally got it going and had the power tuner plugged in and the rpm jumps a lot when idling like from 1850 back down to 1300rpm then it will stop. I can't crank it with the starter motor have to give it a hard kick and then it will crank on the starter. But won't go again. When it does run it sounds very noisy and won't run for very long. The oil in it is clean as.

Any advice

How many hours do you think you have on it / have you ever checked valve clearance?  I'm still fairly new to 4 strokes so I'm not familiar with some of the things you're experiencing.  I'd start with removing the valve cover, then work down until you find the problem.

Cam / valve area (any visible issues)

Head removal - see any bent valves, etc.

Cylinder removal (you should be able to tell if it's in the bottom once the cylinder is removed). 

Edited by mch

Pull the spark plug, put it in neutral and give it a kick.  It should spin pretty freely.   If it doesn't, there is trouble.   Don't run it until you have it figured out.

What color was the plug when you pulled it ? 

Does it roll freely in neutral ?  Does it roll freely in gear with no spark plug ?  Does it roll freely in gear with the clutch pulled in ?

Seems funny you lost spark at the same time its noisy and not turning over well.  Sounds like the generator/alternator unit is involved.  If you have to open it up, I'd remove the flywheel side of the case first. (shifter side)  Flywheel came loose ?  Stator windings came loose ?

With the spark plug out it will lock up still. The gear box is fine as it does it in neutral. I have check the valve clearance within the last 5 hours and they where well within spec. The bike has done 2400km since new and I have changed the oil every 5-10 hours.

I think there is a bearing somewhere that is a little sad. I am thinking it might be in the top end(cam bearing) or the counter weight shaft bearings it's hard to narrow done the nock without running it or stripping it down.

It still has compression I can fell it when the spark plug is out ( haven't measured it but)

I'm about to pull the oil filter to see if there is some tell tale signs in it.

When was the last time you changed oil ?   Do you pull the bleeder screw that goes up to the valve train after changing it and watch for oil while its idling ?    Supposedly you can get an air bubble in the system and then the top end doesn't get oil for a while after changing it.

Please let us know what you find when you figure it out.

The oil is only about 3 hours old it is still really clean the filter had no signs of trouble I'll take the cam cover off tomorrow and have a look at the cam bearings

Good news not the cam bearings bad news it is in the bottom end counter shaft or even worse bottom end.

Btw the top end was oiled so an air lock wasn't it.

Just pulled the magneto cover off all looked good but did have a little bit of metal between the flywheel and stator.

The counter weight bearing on that side looked fine. I couldn't see the crank bearing. But no signs of trouble.

Hi all

I found the problem and am not happy.

Turns out the bottom end bearing is seized. I know what you all are thinking lack of oil.

I have change the oil in this bike 10 times in 2500km and the bottom end was wet as when I pulled it apart. I am thinking it had a problem from new.

Now I have to wait until I have enough money to replace the bottom end as I've just had open heart surgery 6 months ago and haven't worked since.

Just my luck I guess.

Thanks

1 person likes this

Hi all

Turns out the bottom end bearing is seized. I know what you all are thinking lack of oil.

I have change the oil in this bike 10 times in 2500km and the bottom end was wet as when I pulled it apart. I am thinking it had a problem from new.

Now I have to wait until I have enough money to replace the bottom end as I've just had open heart surgery 6 months ago and haven't worked since.

Just my luck I guess.

Thanks

Oh man, that sucks.

You did not win the lottery with this bike.

Best of Luck

Oh man, that sucks.

You did not win the lottery with this bike.

Best of Luck

I bought it brand new to avoid this kind of stuff too
1 person likes this

As modern bikes 'evolve' and they add all these features (Water Cooling, FI, ABS, Stability Control, this, that, etc)

I think bikes in general have become a bit more 'hit or miss' in their quality and reliability

If and when they crap out there are also 10X more difficult to fix.

I bought it brand new to avoid this kind of stuff too

Sorry about your luck.

It will get better though.

We had a son who was in NICU the first week of his life, my first dirt bike caught aflame, my wife was rear ended by an uninsured motorist, my car was run off the road and damaged by a meth head, I got laid off, and my replacement bike (brand new WR450F) was stolen a month after I got it.

That all happened in the past 4 months.

We just have to stay positive and work through it.

You will overcome these circumstances. Stay strong.

Feel free to PM me any prayer requests.

2014 WRR-R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F-Stolen

1 person likes this

Sorry about your luck.

It will get better though.

We had a son who was in NICU the first week of his life, my first dirt bike caught aflame, my wife was rear ended by an uninsured motorist, my car was run off the road and damaged by a meth head, I got laid off, and my replacement bike (brand new WR450F) was stolen a month after I got it.

That all happened in the past 4 months.

We just have to stay positive and work through it.

You will overcome these circumstances. Stay strong.

Feel free to PM me any prayer requests.

2014 WRR-R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F-Stolen

Man my problems aren't as bad as some. Good news is mine is only 1000aud to fix

Man my problems aren't as bad as some. Good news is mine is only 1000aud to fix

Is there any explanation as to why this happened to such a young bike?

Do you street ride it. High rev for prolonged periods. Highways etc?

This shit scares me!

This shit scares me!

Out of all my bikes this one has been treated the best I think it was from the factory will know more when I split the crank apart and have a look at the bearing

Edited by mattpann

As modern bikes 'evolve' and they add all these features (Water Cooling, FI, ABS, Stability Control, this, that, etc)

I think bikes in general have become a bit more 'hit or miss' in their quality and reliability

If and when they crap out there are also 10X more difficult to fix.

Yer I know what your say my problem isn't that bad at least I know how to fix it myself with my good service manual

1 person likes this

The one thing I would recommend out of this is put a magnetic drain plug in your bike. After stripping mine down I found a lot of metal in the sump that never came out with oil changes. It would not have saved my motor but I would have seen the signs earlier and maybe claimed warenty on it.

2 people like this

Hi all

Just my luck I guess.

Thanks

It looks like you have the one off of bad luck.  Hopeful you will shrug it all off and come out strong. :thumbsup:

This shit scares me!

You shouldn't be too scared one of all the bikes out there is likely to have some issue. It's too bad it cannot be warranted but it appears it's a little too old for that.

I bought a YZ250f used a while ago from a friend that had a transmission problem when new, well two rides. He just took it apart and self warranted it.

There is a girl I know who owns a 2014 EXC 350 with a bad crank and the mechanic said the piston was also worn out. Stuff happens. However more to the orange bikes as I have seen.

Edited by stevethe
1 person likes this