Anyone running the 14 in the desert?

I'm looking at buying a 2014 YZ450F to turn into a desert race bike. Couple of questions, I know desert tanks aren't hard to find, but what sort of range is the bike capable of stock? If it can do 52 miles I won't need a bigger tank. If you do have a desert tank on it, how does that work with the seat? Do you need a replacement seat? How is air filter access? 

How does the bike handle stock with out a stabilizer at speed?
Any pictures? Anything is much appreciated before I go and spend 8700 dollars :smirk:

I'm looking at buying a 2014 YZ450F to turn into a desert race bike. Couple of questions, I know desert tanks aren't hard to find, but what sort of range is the bike capable of stock? If it can do 52 miles I won't need a bigger tank. If you do have a desert tank on it, how does that work with the seat? Do you need a replacement seat? How is air filter access? 

How does the bike handle stock with out a stabilizer at speed?

Any pictures? Anything is much appreciated before I go and spend 8700 dollars :smirk:

just raced a big6 gp on my 2010 and it was just over an hour long...I ran out of gas at maybe an hour and 10 mins or so....I don't have a stabilizer and it was plenty stabile but imo handled poorly in the turns...I had about 110 mm sag, forks flush and new tires on the bike.... flat loamy high speed turns and the rear would step out almost every time with a slight twist on the throttle....I know its not a 2014 but there not that much different.

just raced a big6 gp on my 2010 and it was just over an hour long...I ran out of gas at maybe an hour and 10 mins or so....I don't have a stabilizer and it was plenty stabile but imo handled poorly in the turns...I had about 110 mm sag, forks flush and new tires on the bike.... flat loamy high speed turns and the rear would step out almost every time with a slight twist on the throttle....I know its not a 2014 but there not that much different.

The 2014 is a completely different bike from a 2010. It was totally redesigned for 2014. On my 14 I have roughly 90-100 mm sag, forks pushed up 5mm. And I have my clickers dialed in. I have them a slight bit softer on the bottom of the forks so it soaks up bumps real good and the top a bit stiffer to handle jumps and stuff. I used to find it pushed the front end a lot but when I did all those adjustments I find it really good.

Dude..... You would be lucky to get 25 miles out of the stock tank! LOL! You are going to need a bigger tank for sure. I have a 15', I haven't had my GPS on me wile riding it to see what the actual range of one tank of gas is, but I'll take it out with me this weekend and get back to you if no one els has. I can tell you right now though, the range is no where near 52 miles, especially WFO in the dez. She's a thirsty girl.. The motor is amazing, tons of power. I think strait line stability at speed is great! Ive only ridden it in sand so far, so I can't really speak on feel in the corners yet. Everything feel vague and shitty in the sand. I think it could be a great desert ride. The only real issue would be the tiny gas tank. And in my humble opinion, the oversize tanks I've seen on the 14-15 YZ450's look absolutely horrible. Not even just looks, but they look like they would make the ergonomics of the bike really bad. But I have never ridden one with a big tank, so I could be totally wrong.

I am not sure what people are doing to get such horrible fuel mileage but the stock tank is pretty small.  I have been calculating the mileage on my 11' the last couple times out  I did a desert ride with a couple slow friends wide open terrain and got nearly 37MPG.  That is 55ish for a tank.  Couple weeks ago I did a desert race.  The course was super technical.  11 miles avg 20 miles per hour.  I literally never got out of 2nd gear.  Got about 24 MPG so about 38ish for the tank.  My bike has a 1.6 and the 14' got a 2 gallon tank so it should go almost 25% further.

Disclaimer - I am geared pretty tall 14/48 and try to ride a gear high and use my momentum vs spinning it up everywhere.  As they say your mileage will vary!

I am not sure what people are doing to get such horrible fuel mileage but the stock tank is pretty small.  I have been calculating the mileage on my 11' the last couple times out  I did a desert ride with a couple slow friends wide open terrain and got nearly 37MPG.  That is 55ish for a tank.  Couple weeks ago I did a desert race.  The course was super technical.  11 miles avg 20 miles per hour.  I literally never got out of 2nd gear.  Got about 24 MPG so about 38ish for the tank.  My bike has a 1.6 and the 14' got a 2 gallon tank so it should go almost 25% further.

Disclaimer - I am geared pretty tall 14/48 and try to ride a gear high and use my momentum vs spinning it up everywhere.  As they say your mileage will vary!

This is more in line with what I had hoped it would be capable of, I more than likely would be gearing it taller as well, we like to go really fast out here.

I got my 14' 450 in June and I'm waiting for it to cool down in the desert a little before I head out there! I think it will be a good bike lots of power to haul a $$ in the desert anyone know the stop speed with the gearing?