HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
savagex

2014 YZ450 Fork air bleeder is spitting out oil

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing oil coming out of the air bleeder screw on the forks of a 2014 YZ 450? I have the bars in the most forward setting so my forks are spun around 180 deg.(screw is closest to the gas tank)  so that I can access the screw. When I take the screw out a small amount (maybe 8 drops?) of oil spurts out. Is this normal or a problem? Its kind of a pain to clean up everytime I bleed the air.

I have experienced this as well, though I would think it is normal due to pressure built up in the forks. Currently using aftermarket bleeder valves with no oily issues.

Its normal.  Best way I've found to avoid it is keep the bleeder hole rotated as far forward as possible.  When they are back they tend to spit oil a lot worse.

If you rotate the bleeders to the rear (6:00 o'clock) position, oil will pool at the base of the hole the screw closes.  Running the bleeders at 3 and 9 instead of 6 helps. 

I too have a 14' and my bars are forward blocking the comp clickers.kind of annoying .my question is there any adverse effect of turning the fork (exept for a little fluid exitng)tube to make getting at the clickers? Would they bind?As far as fork tube to lower tube relation? I'm confused because I had a 01 yz that you can't spin the tube in relation to the fork lugs they had a stop and could only turn so far but I've noticed the the 14 can spin freely all the way around. I'm assuming it's because there different designs .any imput? Thanks!

the bleed hole in your fork cap doesn't line up with the bleed hole thru the cartridge housing thus the pooling of oil mentioned above. You could drill a new hole thru the housing. It is also possible to drill the new hole larger and enlarge the hole in the fork cap and run sub tanks. They're not as effective as on cartridge forks but they still work.

I too have a 14' and my bars are forward blocking the comp clickers.kind of annoying .my question is there any adverse effect of turning the fork (exept for a little fluid exitng)tube to make getting at the clickers? Would they bind?As far as fork tube to lower tube relation? I'm confused because I had a 01 yz that you can't spin the tube in relation to the fork lugs they had a stop and could only turn so far but I've noticed the the 14 can spin freely all the way around. I'm assuming it's because there different designs .any imput? Thanks!

The compression adjusters are centered in the fork cap, so rotating the tubes won't change their position.  There is no internal rotation stop in any YZ/YZF fork that will prevent the lower tube from spinning any number of turns on the upper.  Occasionally, a preloaded spring may make it seem that way, but any tension the spring offers in torsion will work itself off after a few miles of riding.

1 person likes this