2008 WR 450 cam timing

I have a 2008 wr450. Just did a valve adjust. Book says to line up the TDC timing mark (singular) on flywheel with the mark on the cover. Only problem is, there are 3 marks (plural) at TDC. Approx 1/8" apart. Which do I use?

There's markings on the flywheel witch is what your referring to, there's marking on the cam gears (dot/s) and the lobes on the camshaft should be facing a certain way (away from each other i believe) and lastly look down the spark plug passage way and make sure you see the top of the piston. Don't base your tdc just on the flywheel marks.

Edited by Dexter42

There's markings on the flywheel witch is what your referring to, there's marking on the cam gears (dot/s) and the lobes on the camshaft should be facing a certain way (away from each other i believe) and lastly look down the spark plug passage way and make sure you see the top of the piston. Don't base your tdc just on the flywheel marks.

thanks but I am aware of all of that. My question only refers to the timing marks on the flywheel. There are three of them at TDC. Which one do I use. That's all I need to know. Thanks everything else is lined up

There is an H with a wide middle that is used for timing ignition and then there is a mark to the right of the H that inidcates tdc.

I believe your 3 marks are the two ends of the H and the tdc mark. Use the tdc mark.

In reality it doesnt much matter because all these marks are closer tigether than 1 camshaft tooth. Thus as long as you can see one of them you will be fine.

Fyi, don't turn the engine backwards. It can damage the timing chain guides.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy