2012 WR450 and Endurocross not a good match.

This is probably a well known fact but I gave it a try. This past weekend was the RedBull Rocks and Logs event in Calgary Alberta. I entered with my WR thinking "I'm a pretty tough guy I could pick it up a couple times" but a couple times turned into at least ten times. I was wishing I had a KX100 or KTM150 by the 2nd lap. I will be using my YZ450 next year the WR has been retired from Endurocross, she's to fat and I'm a wuss. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411393016.121395.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411393053.003234.jpg

• Like 4

Very cool. The GP race I did yesterday had an endurocross section (in a 10 mile loop that was mx track, 1st gear rocky technical, sand washes, and silty/rocky/rutted out switchback hill climbs) and I was shown my physical limits quickly. I rode my YZ250 with a Rekluse for this race and was thinking during the prerun on Saturday how glad I was that wasn't on the WR. It would have been a lot tougher for me. Picking up or trying to reposition even something like a 250 2T saps your energy really quickly; a heavier bike is disproportionately worse. I was very humbled by this weekend - when I get exhausted, I get SLOW!

Racing gives you the appreciation that there are some amazing riders out there who will never amount to anything in riding (in a public/famous sense). And most I think are fine with that.

• Like 2

You'll have to keep an eye out for a video when RedBull releases one. Kyle Redmond came up and made the course look like a cake walk. I've never witnessed a rider of his caliber dominate such a challenging course flawlessly until this weekend. Really opens my eyes to how much training and skill they really have.

This is probably a well known fact but I gave it a try. This past weekend was the RedBull Rocks and Logs event in Calgary Alberta. I entered with my WR thinking "I'm a pretty tough guy I could pick it up a couple times" but a couple times turned into at least ten times. I was wishing I had a KX100 or KTM150 by the 2nd lap. I will be using my YZ450 next year the WR has been retired from Endurocross, she's to fat and I'm a wuss. 📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411393016.121395.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1411393053.003234.jpg

How big are you?

I feel like 250 bikes are really strained and slow for a guy my size.

2014 WRR-R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F-Stolen

Nice pics

I rode the tko enduro in tn in August and met up with a guy a couple miles in (he had wr450) he was flat out exhausted looking for a way off the trail.

I was on a trials bike and almost dead after two hours I can only imagine how he felt.

This is my helmet cam from the first knockout race

This is me sitting on the sidelines watching Cody Webb dominate in the final

• Like 2

How big are you?

I feel like 250 bikes are really strained and slow for a guy my size.

2014 WRR-R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F-Stolen

I'm 6'3 220 lbs and I agree with you, I've only ridden 450's since I was 15 now 24. Endurocross is the only riding I want a smaller, lighter bike for. If you have ever tried a professionally built quality track you know a WR is not the right bike. It's great for everything else though.

From what little experience I have (just from doing the Redbull race this year and last) you don't need big power for EX racing. You need low end power to launch logs and light weight for quick "bike tossing" maneuvers. I think a 250 two stroke would work great and If I were to get into EX a little more I'd probably set up a nice YZ250 2T for it.

Edited by torkd14

I'm 6'3 220 lbs and I agree with you, I've only ridden 450's since I was 15 now 24. Endurocross is the only riding I want a smaller, lighter bike for. If you have ever tried a professionally built quality track you know a WR is not the right bike. It's great for everything else though.

From what little experience I have (just from doing the Redbull race this year and last) you don't need big power for EX racing. You need low end power to launch logs and light weight for quick "bike tossing" maneuvers. I think a 250 two stroke would work great and If I were to get into EX a little more I'd probably set up a nice YZ250 2T for it.

Thanks for the reply. We are actually the same size and weight ha. I've never made it onto a pro track. I've ridden the expert level loop they used for a Texas enduro champ circuit last year and it is indeed a workout.

It would be fun to try but I bet your right about the 2T bikes being easier.

You have gonads of steel for giving it a go. Ride on man!

2014 WRR-R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F-Stolen

Nice pics

I rode the tko enduro in tn in August and met up with a guy a couple miles in (he had wr450) he was flat out exhausted looking for a way off the trail.

I was on a trials bike and almost dead after two hours I can only imagine how he felt.

This is my helmet cam from the first knockout race

This is me sitting on the sidelines watching Cody Webb dominate in the final

Nice job with the video!

I agree. Took my wr426 out for a "hard enduro" trail ride when I first got it. After 2 hours and 25 miles I was exhausted and wanted off of that bike.

Here was my list of complaints:

Bike was too tall to hold on steep slippery surfaces.

Kick starting it was a bitch once stalled.

Bike liked to get hott in tight sections.

Bike was overpowered through most of the ride and I rarely got out of second.

Bike was heavy as hell.

Other than that it was fine, but I left that day wishing I had a smaller wr250r electric start.

I agree. Took my wr426 out for a "hard enduro" trail ride when I first got it. After 2 hours and 25 miles I was exhausted and wanted off of that bike.

Here was my list of complaints:

Bike was too tall to hold on steep slippery surfaces.

Kick starting it was a bitch once stalled.

Bike liked to get hott in tight sections.

Bike was overpowered through most of the ride and I rarely got out of second.

Bike was heavy as hell.

Other than that it was fine, but I left that day wishing I had a smaller wr250r electric start.

The WR250R was fun on single track but when logs or ledges came up it made my butthole pucker up. The little bike just didn't have the beans for the rough stuff.

2014 WRR-R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F-Stolen

The WR250R was fun on single track but when logs or ledges came up it made my butthole pucker up. The little bike just didn't have the beans for the rough stuff.

Yeah that's the other worry, which is what has me leaning towards maybe a husaberg 300cc 2 stroke, or a husky.

Yeah that's the other worry, which is what has me leaning towards maybe a husaberg 300cc 2 stroke, or a husky.

If you can wrestle the 450 go for it. Power on tap will make up for the weight. Although the weight of the 250R makes downhills and climbs feel much more planted.

I would love a 350 EXC for a double duty ride.

2014 WRR-R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F-Stolen

• Like 1