Basics on lights please...WR450 2007

Can someone please give me the basics on the electric lighting for my bike. I thought I read somewhere that the bikes are delivered with the front and rear lights not wired up. My 2007 WR450 seems to have a chop block connecting the rear light which doesn't look like it came from the factory like that.

When I test rode the bike (buying second hand) the lights weren't on, so I asked the guy to turn them on and he did. The problem is I didn't see how he did it and now don't know how to turn them off.

I would like to have a rear working brake light, good front light with high and low beam and also possibly fit small indicators. The current lighting setup is standard. When I see the bikes in videos and pictures on here they seem to have a different rear light. I was therefore wondering if the bikes made in the same year but for different countries have different style of rear lights?

Can anyone tell me the basics on changing the lighting above, how hard, how expensive and the various hardware options that are available for these bikes. I have done searches on here but I seem to go round in circles. I am not particularly good at electrics so would ask someone to help out. I am also in the UK so don't know what my options are over here vs the USA.

If the whole thing is going to cost too much then I might not bother because it is unlikely that I'm going to need them much.

In the States you cannot turn off the lights without an extra switch wired in.

You will likely need a dual sport wiring harness. There are several made here in the States. Rocky mountain ATV has some. Price it, if it's too complicated you could ask a friend or get it installed by a shop.

2007 -2011 UK models did not come road legal in the UK, but are type approved for road use, as they did not have working high beam or brake lights

You don't need indicators, as it is type approved as an off road bike, same goes from chain guard. You also don't need number plate light to pass an MOT, but techincally it needs  number plate light to be road legal and conform to the ConUse regs

The headlight works straight off the alternator, on AC power and only works when the bike is running. It is wired for dip only, but the bulb has the high beam filament

The tailight should be permanently on, and gets its +ve supply through the CDI - mine stopped working so I had to create my own +ve feed

There are no brake light switches fitted front or rear, although the OE tail light has the wiring and the LEDs will work

To get lights fully working you need the following:-

Brake light switches front and rear - the ones that are built into the banjo bolts are best as the front master cylinder has no mounting point for a switch

Handlebar switch to switch between hi & lo headlight

various wiring to construct your own loom

Thanks for the replies. I guess I just want to get a full MOT on the bike as it currently only has a twilight MOT. I thought at the same time it would be nice to make the bike as full and normal as possible.

Having thought about it some more I don't think I'll bother with the indicators. I thought it would be a nice little touch to make it more like a road bike but I think there is little point. Someone else mentioned about the brake switch banjo bolts. Do you know the best brand and where to buy?

I have heard quite a bit about Baja design kits on here. I'm guessing these are only in the US but in any case are they simply a kit which is an upgrade for what is already there on the bike as standard?

This is the brake light that I often see on photos of WR450. It almost looks like it was standard in Australia? I think this light looks better and is more ergonomic for the rear fender. I would also imagine is it is slightly better at showing the brake light and tail light?

http://motoaus.com/dirt/dirt-news-and-features/yamaha-release-2007-wr450/

When you say that the headlight has a bulb that supports dipped and full beam is it a proper full and dipped beam like you would expect on other road bikes?

Aussie bike came fully road legal with indicators, brake lights, number plate holder etc

You will notice there is no where to mount the numebr plate on UK bikes and yamaha do not sell anything either

I use these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-LED-Stop-Rear-Tail-Light-for-Enduro-Trials-Trailbikes-DRZ-XR400-/271031293889?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3f1ab957c1

Get the banjo bolt with the brake light switch built fro ebay again. Never had one fail yet

such as http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pressure-Switch-Light-Banjo-Bolt-Honda-Kawasaki-Yamaha-M10-x-1-25mm-/131184131132?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item1e8b2efc3c

Be careful, there are 2 different thread ptich size avaialble. I think Yamaha's use M10 x 1.25mm

You can buy 'quality' goodridge' ones but your prob wasting your money over no name brand ones

Baja Desgins kit is a complete set up

Not needed with a little thought, some wire, and a soldering iron, plus the stuff listed above. I use Suzuki DRZ switch gear to get the functinality of the the hi/lo switch, horn button etc, with Jap OE reliability over cheapo nasty switch gear. Get your switch gear off ebay secondhand.

Yamaha sell banjo bolt brake light switches though another brand will do providing the correct thread (double check that!). Yam part no: 5BF-H2530-00

I have wired plenty of these up for the road. I use a CEV headlight / horn / kill switch (as found on most KTMs) for the head light and horn though retain the standard Yamaha kill switch as the CEV swtches aren't that water proof (i fill them with silicon grease to help with that)! I try and use Sumitomo waterproof connectors too but it all depends on the owner's budget.

You can tap into the switched live from the ignition button to provide power to the horn and brake lights.

Then wire the headlight feed into the new switch which will allow you dip and high beam. The stock 2007 headlight is pretty poor though if out at night!

As for a rear light, i tend to retro fit a UFO 1220 LED tail unit (road legal, DOT and EII marked) rather than the oem LED light, for a neat light and number plate solution. It has a token number plate light built in too which will keep the mot tester happy though no reflector (a stick on reflector on a bottom corner of a full size number plat will see you through there).

5BF-H2530-00 = £30+ from Yamaha or £10 off fleabay  :thinking:

Agreed, stock headlight is shite but with only a 35W bulb it aint never gonna be brill

Stator cannot handle a higher wattage bulb so you are stuck unless you do a full DC conversion by floating the ground and running it from the battery, but then you need a different regulator and it all starts to add up

Stock headlight will get you through an MOT

No number plate light required for UK MOT on bikes (on cars yes, but not bikes)

The above replacement tailight I linked to, is E marked so fully road legal in the UK

I broke into the switched live from the push button for my +ve feed.

Make sure you put an in line fuse in it, else if you have an electrical fault it will blow the main fuse and the bike will not run

I used one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Line-standard-waterproof-Blade-Fuse-Holder-fuses-5a-5amp-kit-car-boat-bike-/300640465795?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item45ff917383

5BF-H2530-00 = £30+ from Yamaha or £10 off fleabay  :thinking:

Agreed, stock headlight is shite but with only a 35W bulb it aint never gonna be brill

Stator cannot handle a higher wattage bulb so you are stuck unless you do a full DC conversion by floating the ground and running it from the battery, but then you need a different regulator and it all starts to add up

Stock headlight will get you through an MOT

No number plate light required for UK MOT on bikes (on cars yes, but not bikes)

The above replacement tailight I linked to, is E marked so fully road legal in the UK

I broke into the switched live from the push button for my +ve feed.

Make sure you put an in line fuse in it, else if you have an electrical fault it will blow the main fuse and the bike will not run

I used one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Line-standard-waterproof-Blade-Fuse-Holder-fuses-5a-5amp-kit-car-boat-bike-/300640465795?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item45ff917383

He doesn't have to fit genuine hydraulic brake light switches, it was purely an example!

The 2012 onwards headlight or ADR headlight put out far more light over the stock headlight for the same bulb wattage but if its only used for occasional trail ride return at dusk the stock headlight will be fine.

Thanks, I will refer to this post when I am fitting the bits and pieces.

The picture of the rear tail light about half way down the page in this link looks like it is genuine Yamaha as the write up is of the new bike when it was launched. It is pointed and matches the rear fender and looks really good but has no number plate holder strangely? (actually have looked again it seems that the first picture of the bike side on shows a nice number plate holder too). I would love to get hold of one of these if they are available anywhere.

There seems to be a similar shaped one sold by an Australian company bikemonkey. It has built in indicators in the led tail light and looks good. It is quite expensive but I think it looks worth it. What do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-WR450F-LED-Tail-Light-with-built-in-indicators-in-Clear-or-Smoked-Lens-/161399680492?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25942badec

My only issue with it really is that there is no number plate holder so don't know if it would fit nicely or not. I don't know if you could find a separate number plate holder that would mate up with it properly without having to redrill the rear fender.

My bike came with a rear led and number plate bit, although I don't know whether this was from the factory or fitted afterwards by the previous owner. Here is what mine looks like, is this not standard?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-WRF-250-07-12-WRF-450-07-11-ENDURO-REAR-FENDER-LED-LIGHT-UFO-BLUE-/400554866003?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5d42ee3553

Edited by Snow Drift

Thanks, I will refer to this post when I am fitting the bits and pieces.

The picture of the rear tail light about half way down the page in this link looks like it is genuine Yamaha as the write up is of the new bike when it was launched. It is pointed and matches the rear fender and looks really good but has no number plate holder strangely? (actually have looked again it seems that the first picture of the bike side on shows a nice number plate holder too). I would love to get hold of one of these if they are available anywhere.

This is the Aussie model - only way you're get one of those is from Austrialia.

Yamaha UK don't recognise it

There seems to be a similar shaped one sold by an Australian company bikemonkey. It has built in indicators in the led tail light and looks good. It is quite expensive but I think it looks worth it. What do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-WR450F-LED-Tail-Light-with-built-in-indicators-in-Clear-or-Smoked-Lens-/161399680492?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25942badec

This is an OE (or OE style) light - this is waht comes with the bike as it comes form Yamaha

You will note there is no number plate holder

My only issue with it really is that there is no number plate holder so don't know if it would fit nicely or not. I don't know if you could find a separate number plate holder that would mate up with it properly without having to redrill the rear fender.

My bike came with a rear led and number plate bit, although I don't know whether this was from the factory or fitted afterwards by the previous owner. Here is what mine looks like, is this not standard?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-WRF-250-07-12-WRF-450-07-11-ENDURO-REAR-FENDER-LED-LIGHT-UFO-BLUE-/400554866003?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5d42ee3553

This is UFO aftermarket rear fender complete with light

Edited by GuyGraham

Sorry I just want to check that I understand things.

When the UK bikes came out did they have any rear tail light at all and if so did it look like the one I have in the link above (even though the one in the link is a UFO one). I'm not sure if the UFO one is a copy of the Yamaha one or if I have a UFO one. I can't see where I can check anywhere on it.

I think for the moment I might just wire up the light I have got with the banjo style switches. I would like to get that Australian one in the link above with built in indicators and then the Zeta or Tusk hand guards with indicators in the future. I just think it would look smart and be a bit safer on the road

Sorry I just want to check that I understand things.

When the UK bikes came out did they have any rear tail light at all and if so did it look like the one I have in the link above (even though the one in the link is a UFO one). I'm not sure if the UFO one is a copy of the Yamaha one or if I have a UFO one. I can't see where I can check anywhere on it.

I think for the moment I might just wire up the light I have got with the banjo style switches. I would like to get that Australian one in the link above with built in indicators and then the Zeta or Tusk hand guards with indicators in the future. I just think it would look smart and be a bit safer on the road

The UK bikes do come with a tail light, like the Australian one Guy linked to but it's only wired up as a rear light from new (though has provison to use as a brake light too) and has no bracket or flap for hanging a number plate.

Like so:

storyimages_yamahwr4502007_2007_wr450f_t