Softer clutch with wr250 springs

I did look into one of those too but they were around 130 bucks which is pretty pricey just to get a little lighter pull.

There's some cheaper ones out there.  I never tried it personally but I've heard this works...

EZlever.jpg

There's some cheaper ones out there.  I never tried it personally but I've heard this works...

EZlever.jpg

I thought about trying something like that! It would probably take ME about two to three days to figure it all out to be certain I had the geometry correct so it would indeed increase the length of pull, then probably an hour or so to get it set up right, and then a few minutes to complete it,

but fortunately I hit on the "fix" for my bike just before I started working on doing that.

A few years back I did set up the clutch lever and bore it out and use a small needle bearing in place of the bushing where the lever pivots....THAT made it a lot easier and smoother to engage the clutch. I seem to remember I had to turn down the through bolt as well in order to allow it to fit.

Well worth the time it took.

Yes

I changed three springs

It works

It's a very small change, maybe 10%

In my opinion, getting an adjustable lever and adjusting to a position so modulating the clutch lever is right where you want it to be, is a better investment.

I just installed 3 2012 WR250 springs on my 2012 WR450. I think it lightened my clutch pull closer to 50%. Was only able to take a lap around the back yard. Did not feel any slipping. Will be riding this weekend for a more thorough check, but loving the new lighter pull so far. Here is a pic of the 250 spring compared to the 450.

1411419672899.jpg

I just installed 3 2012 WR250 springs on my 2012 WR450. I think it lightened my clutch pull closer to 50%. Was only able to take a lap around the back yard. Did not feel any slipping. Will be riding this weekend for a more thorough check, but loving the new lighter pull so far. Here is a pic of the 250 spring compared to the 450.

I'm going to try this. You only swapped the springs? Did you do anything with the bolts?

I'm going to try this. You only swapped the springs? Did you do anything with the bolts?

I used the original bolts.

I did this cheap free mod a few weeks ago. Took 2007 WR250 and put in my 2007 wr450. I wanted to ride it some to see what the difference would be. The bike transmission and shifting feels the same but the clutch lever pull is better, definitely lighter and not as stiff. I personally think it's about 20% improvement over the original springs.

I also did the three 250 springs mod and it feels great. Have a couple of rides with no issues.

But. How will this effect fading on hard clutch rides. I'm think ing the springs have nothing to do with the fading? Its the plates heating up?

Or is just cable stretch?

Comments?

I haven't noticed any issues after a few all day rides on mine. No issues and no regrets, love the lighter clutch pull.

Yes

I changed three springs

It works

It's a very small change, maybe 10%

In my opinion, getting an adjustable lever and adjusting to a position so modulating the clutch lever is right where you want it to be, is a better investment.

What adjustable lever do you recommend? Change out the perch also?

I've read somewhere that 1998/1999 wr400 clutch actuator arms are longer than the wr426 arms..... Can anybody confirm this? And how much longer is it (if it is longer)

I have tried many things to get a lighter pull on my 2012 WR450. I have tried drilling a new cable end spot on the stock lever, this worked marginally well. I tried the moose EZ pull device, this worked better than the drilled lever. Now I am running 3 WR250f clutch springs and a magura hydro clutch and the pull is awesome! Lightest pull I have ever had on a full size bike. Of course I would still like lighter though...

I have tried many things to get a lighter pull on my 2012 WR450. I have tried drilling a new cable end spot on the stock lever, this worked marginally well. I tried the moose EZ pull device, this worked better than the drilled lever. Now I am running 3 WR250f clutch springs and a magura hydro clutch and the pull is awesome! Lightest pull I have ever had on a full size bike. Of course I would still like lighter though...

Did you happen to try the clutch pull before putting thr hydro on but after the 3 wr250 springs were put in? Id imagine the hydro would make it buttery smooth/light even with all 6 wr450 springs in place.

What do you think of that hydro?

I havnt read a good review on them yet. Apparently the slave sticks way out of the engine and is likely to hit the ground when the bike is dropped, also I've heard it makes no difference to the ease of the pull, but does make it smoother and has a consistent feel. Not much gain IMO for $400 and that risk of it breaking in a fall is the main reason I wouldn't have it (that and its $400!)

Did you happen to try the clutch pull before putting thr hydro on but after the 3 wr250 springs were put in? Id imagine the hydro would make it buttery smooth/light even with all 6 wr450 springs in place.

I put the hydro clutch on first and I would say that accounts for about 45% of my pull reduction. I was looking for more so I added 3 250 springs.

What do you think of that hydro?

I havnt read a good review on them yet. Apparently the slave sticks way out of the engine and is likely to hit the ground when the bike is dropped, also I've heard it makes no difference to the ease of the pull, but does make it smoother and has a consistent feel. Not much gain IMO for $400 and that risk of it breaking in a fall is the main reason I wouldn't have it (that and its $400!)

The hydro clutch is great. On the WR450 the slave does not stick out at all, it's buried way back in there and fairly safe. I have over 20 hrs (probably closer to 40 but I'm not home so I can't check) on it without a single issue.

Yes it works to increase leverage.....and also decrease throw...so your clutch with drag even more than it does now....

So far I have cleaned and lubed the perch, replaced and lubed the lever (had a motionpro, so I put that on) and tonight I swapped out 3 springs; still need to change out the cable. It feels like it pulls just like the CRF100 sitting right next to it, I dont have any subjective way to test it, just my forearm.