Softer clutch with wr250 springs

Yes

I changed three springs

It works

It's a very small change, maybe 10%

In my opinion, getting an adjustable lever and adjusting to a position so modulating the clutch lever is right where you want it to be, is a better investment.

I plan on doing a combo of spring and lever.

Springs cost like $2 each.

Do you use same torq setting on bolt with lighter spring?

And assume its important to place them evenly around the clutch

Heard that replacing two springs with wr250 springs gives clutch softer pull

Anybody done this or have experience with it?

Just a  note of caution, replacing clutch springs with softer ones will lighten the pull but will also lighten the clamping force your clutch has which can cause it to slip under heavy load. Basically, you can get a lighter pull at the cost of faster wearing clutches. If the pull is only marginally lighter then the wear should only be marginally faster.

• Like 1

+1 on what woods-rider said.

Also, I recently did a bunch of stuff to my '03 and found that the YZ and WR's had different part numbers for the clutch actuation rods for that

year. I picked up a couple cheap to measure them. They are identical in every way EXCEPT the length of the lever where the clutch cable connects up is .2 (inch) longer on the YZ ones. The lever arm changes from .7 on the WR to .9 on the YZ which would make it quite a bit easier using YZ one on WR. I am sure

this is to lighten the pull at the lever as the YZ's also use stronger springs.

I remember reading a couple threads on lengthing the stock clutch actuation lever as well.

There are 6 springs equally spaced on a bolt circle 60 degrees apart

I replaced 3 of them (like in a Mercedes symbol or a peace sign)....alternating every other

The 250 springs are shorter but the eventually come under tension when you screw in the retaining bolts

It worked perfect and a ended up with a clutch pull as soft as a mini bike

....and dont forget to order a new clutch cover gasket

Just a note of caution, replacing clutch springs with softer ones will lighten the pull but will also lighten the clamping force your clutch has which can cause it to slip under heavy load. Basically, you can get a lighter pull at the cost of faster wearing clutches. If the pull is only marginally lighter then the wear should only be marginally faster.

Well if the clutch does not slip under load with the lighter springs. It shouldn't wear any quicker.

The YZ springs are stiffer prob due to having more power.

I am using stock wr springs with a Hinson clutch pack. It seems to work well in the WR.

Well if the clutch does not slip under load with the lighter springs. It shouldn't wear any quicker.

The YZ springs are stiffer prob due to having more power.

This is exactly right, but replace "YZ" with "450". If you don't do any aggressive riding with hard throttling it may never slip with using some 250 springs, but I have to assume that Yamaha put that specific spring rate in their clutches for a reason and not just closing their eyes and throwing a dart at a spring rate board.

This is exactly right, but replace "YZ" with "450". If you don't do any aggressive riding with hard throttling it may never slip with using some 250 springs, but I have to assume that Yamaha put that specific spring rate in their clutches for a reason and not just closing their eyes and throwing a dart at a spring rate board.

Your right however I don't think the YZ springs are much heavier than the WR. But there is a plus and minus factor on spring performance as well.

I was a little too weary to run the three 250 springs.

It is a mod that is in successful use. I am ok with the stock WR 450 springs. The heaviest I've felt is the Hinson springs. Ouch.

I'm 1/8 ton and mine does not slip at all

Makes the clutch like butter too so you can feather that thing like a second throttle

Best thing I ever did to that bike setup-wise (short of adding a scotts steering stabilizer)

1/8 ton. What's that 200lbs?

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'll change 3 springs.

1/8th ton is 250#.

I tried the YZ springs and they are WAY harder to pull in. By about 1/2 day of riding my hand was starting to cramp up. We ride LOTS of mountain single track trails so are constantly using the clutch and feathering it for better tractability.

Had I known at the time I tried the YZ springs in mine about the longer actuation rod on the YZ's I would have definitely added that as well. I would bet had I used the longer actuation rod with the YZ springs the pull would have been very similar to that of the stock WR springs.

I did not have a problem with the clutch pull but was trying to overcome or get rid of the constant starter drag to allow mine to start up easier while in gear. I FINALLY did manage to make that happen and am back to all stock WR clutch components.

I know that all the major manufacturers do their best to determine the best spring ratios to cover a large variety of riding and riders but now that I have mine all dialed in it is a LOT easier to ride the bike as well as being easy on my hand.

1/8th ton is 250#.

I tried the YZ springs and they are WAY harder to pull in. By about 1/2 day of riding my hand was starting to cramp up. We ride LOTS of mountain single track trails so are constantly using the clutch and feathering it for better tractability.

Had I known at the time I tried the YZ springs in mine about the longer actuation rod on the YZ's I would have definitely added that as well. I would bet had I used the longer actuation rod with the YZ springs the pull would have been very similar to that of the stock WR springs.

I did not have a problem with the clutch pull but was trying to overcome or get rid of the constant starter drag to allow mine to start up easier while in gear. I FINALLY did manage to make that happen and am back to all stock WR clutch components.

I know that all the major manufacturers do their best to determine the best spring ratios to cover a large variety of riding and riders but now that I have mine all dialed in it is a LOT easier to ride the bike as well as being easy on my hand.

The 06-09 actuator rod on the YZ450 is completely different then the 07-11 WR450. Cable and bracket come in differently. I'm pretty sure it wont fit.

The 06-09 actuator rod on the YZ450 is completely different then the 07-11 WR450. Cable and bracket come in differently. I'm pretty sure it wont fit.

You are probably right as the one I was working on was an '03 and I noticed the different part numbers listed for each actuation rod. I received one for a WR in with some used clutch parts off e-bay so picked up another off e-bay from a YZ to compare them. They are identical for that year other than the length of the lever arm where the cable hooks in.

I did not check out any of the more recent ones although I believe I did notice the '07 bike's also list different ones for YZ vs WR. I would bet it

is a similar change though as since the YZ's are said to have 20% more power and then need heavier clutch springs to use that power, you would have to compensate for that added clutch pull somewhere and a longer actuation rod makes the most sense and is also the easiest part to change to make up for the added pull in the springs.

They do try to keep things pretty interchangeable if possible, but till you actually measure and compare them to each other while side by side you cannot tell if they will interchange. It is worth picking one up cheap off e-bay to find out though as it might be the easiest and quickest fix.

The one I got was about 4 bucks plus 5 to ship

Wouldn't an easy clutch lever have the same effect as a longer actuator?

Yes it would if it has correct geometry. Basically they both get easier pull by lengthening the lever arm.

I did look into one of those too but they were around 130 bucks which is pretty pricey just to get a little lighter pull.

I used WR250 springs from the same year bike, not YZ

The 'triad' pattern is important I think when you have 6 springs

That way the plates cannot cock when they move in or out

And of course give the cable a good lube

Mine is like butter