Reduce engine braking on 2012 WR450

I was pretty shocked not ever riding a 4 stroke dirt bike (went from an 04 CR250R to the 12 WR450F).  I thought the engine breaking was extreme too, but now I'm just used to it and it doesn't bother me in the least bit.  I know this doesn't answer your question, but I'm pretty sure you won't even think it  a bother in a while.

Ive found that on 4 stroke singles ,If you open up the exhaust some what, the brakes will get weaker, that's the first sign of reduced engine braking. Course you had zero engine braking with that CR, so its a jump, but you can learn to use it as a tool.

Edited by Spud786

I've adjusted the idle "CO" setting from 0 to 7. I'm hoping it'll help. At the very least I hope it helps the bike start when it's hot. Currently when the bike is really hot it has trouble restarting. usually I'll give it a little throttle to start it up when hot, but I'm hoping the "CO" adjustment will fix this and maybe reduce engine braking.

Get the mapping/jetting very crisp at off-idle, use the most agressive ignition map...

Krannie, what do you mean map for crisp off-idle and most aggressive map?

The map I currently have is "quick revving in mid to top rpm range":

Fuel    +1   +1   +1     Ignition     +1   +3   +4

+3   +2   +1                      +2   +2   +2

+3   +3   +1                      +2   +1   +1

Would a different map help? I'll see if upping the CO setting helps.

I thought I read that you can use the FI diagnostic tool to reduce the engine braking, but I wasn't able to find that thread.

I'd prefer not to have to clutch in excessively to fix a deficiency with the bike.

• Like 1

After some googling. I'll try the "woods/tight trail" map to see about reducing the engine braking. Hopefully it doesn't moot the power too much, I like the power delivery the way it currently is. It's just when I chop the throttle at slower speeds.

If you don't like the woods map, maybe use your old map but bump the ignition numbers up a little in the bottom row.

It looks like you have it set up right, but have you calibrated the TPS

It needs to be re -set after break in.

You can merely change the TPS output voltage for an immediate change in response

I don't know the exact voltage, but the service manual has the range, which is .6 to.7 volts

How do I calibrate the TPS sensor?