HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jarabe1

speedo eliminator

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys I just bought a Vapor and I want to eliminate the stock wheel odometer. I've been looking on ebay and rocky mount with no luck. Do you guys have the link where I can get one?

thanks in advance

I just bought a Vapor from RCMC last week. = Trail Tech Vapor Speedometer/Tachometer - 2011 Yamaha WR450F part # 1152320004 $116.69 with free shipping.

I removed the stock speedo gear & wiring all the way up to the speedo, but you will need to install a spacer to take up the room, but I installed a set of 17" SM wheels. I sure would not want to cut the wires on the stock unit.

Edited by DRZ04

I just ditched my speedo cable recently because the cable was damaged and not sure what the deal was, but the speedo was reading a speed about double than actual.  I'm cruising down a desert road at about 40mph, 1 hand on the bar, and motor not revving too much and it's saying I was going 93mph.

That being said, I no longer needed the cable so cutting it wasn't a big deal.  What I wasn't expecting was that the Flatland racing spacer / wheel bearing cover requires that you pull the seal off of the original speedo-spacer-bearing cover and stick it on the Flatland racing unit.  I tried prying it out with a screwdriver, etc., but wasn't having much luck.  I finally stuck it in a vice and tweaked the housing until it deformed and then I got the seal out.  I actually have a new speedo cable in a box, but think it was like $100+ if I want to get it working again or if I want to sell the dirt bike. 

Edited by mch

I just ditched my speedo cable recently because the cable was damaged and not sure what the deal was, but the speedo was reading a speed about double than actual.  I'm cruisind down a desert road at about 40mph, 1 hand on the bar, and motor not revving too much and it's saying I was going 93mph.

That being said, I no longer needed the cable so cutting it wasn't a big deal.  What I wasn't expecting was that the Flatland racing spacer / wheel bearing cover requires that you pull the seal off of the original speedo-spacer-bearing cover and stick it on the Flatland racing unit.  I tried prying it out with a screwdriver, etc., but wasn't having much luck.  I finally stuck it in a vice and tweaked the housing until it deformed and then I got the seal out.  I actually have a new speedo cable in a box, but think it was like $100+ if I want to get it working again or if I want to sell the dirt bike. 

I run the flatland unit as well.  I too had trouble getting the seal out of the stocker.   I can't remember how I did it.  Just wanted to say that you weren't alone.

My two cents.. Trail Tech stuff is crap. They are cheaply made from China and don't hold up for dirt riding.  You are better off using a GPS system to gage your mileage and speed.  However, if you are going that route Barnum Pro Products makes a nice billet aluminum odometer spacer to replace the stock front wheel spacer for the WR's.  The only issue with Barnum's is I think they may be out of business, so you will have to do some research to find one.

My reference was for my 2013 WR450F & it is an electrical wire from the wheel adapter to the speedo not a cable. The vapor I have on my DRZ435 came with a small rubber plug that fits in the whole the cable inserts into.

http://appliedrace.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32_41&products_id=1661&zenid=16a7dd5ea3dfc01054806d8c4bb1f528

I got that one.  Flatland racing makes one too.  Probably a couple other ones out there.  You could also just cut the cable off, I think there's a little cap that comes with the vapor to cover it up.

Thank you guys, I just cut the cable off ;)