Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
-texas2stroker-

2002 yz426f

9 posts in this topic

I've just traded today for a 426. I gave an 01kx250 for it. First off, did I make the wrong decision? Second off, can anyone tell me the good and bad points about this 426? Bike is a beast!! All new plastics, desert tank. Rebuilt too end is a month old. The guy said it's been punched to a 450. Over all I'm thrilled with the bike.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1410123192.405025.jpg

1 person likes this

It's completely different. It's nice though. It's got a butt load of low end, and real mild mannered. But twist the throttle, and hang on!! It's the best of both worlds. I haven't figured out if I like the 4 speed trans yet or not though.

1 person likes this

All the 426s have 5 speed transmissions.

1998 - 2002 Yamaha YZ400/426F - 5 Speed

2003 - 2005 Yamaha YZ450F - 4 speed

2006 - 2007 Yamaha YZ450F - 5 speed

I was totally misinformed. Thank you for telling me. I rode the bike. But the rear shock is DEAD. It has no compression and rebound adjustment. It's like sitting on a diving board. I found a used one on ebay set up for a rider of my weight. So they guy I got the bike from went to the ATM and gave me cash to pay for it. My balls weren't screwed on tight enough to take it much farther than 3rd with the rear shock the way it is. What would cause that?

My balls weren't screwed on tight enough to take it much farther than 3rd with the rear shock the way it is. What would cause that?

Loose balls or a blown shock?

The shock probably developed a leak and ran low on oil.  That, or the piston seal is shot.  There are several internal conditions that can cause it.

I've never torn one apart. Or had one fail for that matter. So when the new one comes in, I'll instal that one, and try to rebuild the old one. I'll either have a spare, or sell it once it's rebuilt. Any advice on rebuilding the shock?