HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
n16ht5

DIY rewind for 06-09 yz450f stator?

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone rewound their stock stator to power a headlight or heated grips?

I found Ricky Stator has a 35W but that won't really be enough to run heated grips (40W) and the headlight I have is 35W, which would mean it will probably only work 100% in high rpms. I found Steahly makes a 45W http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighting/yamaha-yz-450f-06-09-lighting-stator.html but I hope that it is not related to electrosport, which is junk I have heard.

I would think that if I can get a wiring diagram of the outputs I could beef them up enough to run a headlight>?? There has to be someone that has done it. Judging by the wiring diagram there are only 2 used windings on the stator, but there are four poles available.

The four poles are wound in two separate circuits, which is why it's illustrated that way in the schematic.  I know of no possible way to wind more than 35w of lighting power into an '06-'09 stator without using wire so small it will burn itself out by supporting its own output.  The stator is simply too small for the job, and if anyone could have done it any better, it would have been done long ago.

2 people like this

I had a rickystator in my old XR, and never had a problem. they are easy to work with. I'll see how this one for the YZ450 works

Ricky Stator is the first place I would trust to put one together.  Your old XR doesn't count, because that one is big enough to be wound to power a small building.  RS quit fooling with the YZF stators and others like them a while ago, because while they had a good enough demand, they couldn't make the part meet their own standards, and they decided not to be known for building junk.  If they produce one at all, it will be the most reliable one you can get your hands on.

Has anyone rewound their stock stator to power a headlight or heated grips?

I found Ricky Stator has a 35W but that won't really be enough to run heated grips (40W) and the headlight I have is 35W, which would mean it will probably only work 100% in high rpms. I found Steahly makes a 45W http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/lighting/yamaha-yz-450f-06-09-lighting-stator.html but I hope that it is not related to electrosport, which is junk I have heard.

I would think that if I can get a wiring diagram of the outputs I could beef them up enough to run a headlight>?? There has to be someone that has done it. Judging by the wiring diagram there are only 2 used windings on the stator, but there are four poles available.

This is the biggest limitation when using the 06-09 YZ 450 for a snow bike or off-road bike.  There is just no good inexpensive way to get reliable lighting power unless a total loss system is your thing.  You could swap over to WR parts but by the time you bought all the necessary parts it's not worth the hassle.

I have the rickystator on order, talked to Mike there.. He said it should be enough for a 20w led. I just need to keep my hands warm mostly.. And cyclops has some low power stuff that should work fine . yes I will be missing the heated jacket, heated grips, HID lights at night my XR had.. But I'll make do!

I put a cyclops light on my 2011 yz450 and the bike even kicks over easy with the light switched on. Draws barely any power and is brighter then stock snowmobile lights I've seen. It's plug and play too, so super simple to hook up with the supplied wiring harness and instructions.

I put a cyclops light on my 2011 yz450 and the bike even kicks over easy with the light switched on. Draws barely any power and is brighter then stock snowmobile lights I've seen. It's plug and play too, so super simple to hook up with the supplied wiring harness and instructions.

I'm sorry, but that has no real relevance to this discussion.  The EFI bikes come with 100W+ magnetos out of the need to power the fuel pump to 45psi in 3 seconds or less at 400 RPM.  The '06-'09 model flywheel is smaller than the gas cap.

1 person likes this