HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluefargo

A relluse clutch or weighted flywheel to prevent stalling?

15 posts in this topic

I bought a 06 yz450f. I notice in the woods mainly climbing hills when I lug it it likes to stall. I was wondering which would help more the rekluse or flywheel? The gearing is currently 13/50.

Thanks for any help, Mike

I have a 09 YZ450F that I ride single track with and when I first bought it I stalled constantly. I went with a rekluse EXP 3.0 and no more stalling, I also added a 51 tooth rear sprocket and a 18" rear wheel with a trials tire. The only problem I have is I need a catch tank or if I stop and wait on someone I have to shut it down to keep from boilover, but it starts on 1 kick hot or cold.

2 people like this

Properly set up, a Rekluse is undeniably better at preventing stalling than the flywheel, but i recommend a weighted flywheel anyway for its other benefits. 

1 person likes this

I have a rekluse exp on my 07 yz450 along with a gytr flywheel weight, Its great in the tight stuff, but every once in a while i would still stall. I have adjusted the cable many times and just now have it about dialed in, definitely wish i wouldve put a new clutch cable on when i put the rekluse in, after figuring out my old cable kept stretching and causing problems I replaced it with a motion pro t3 and seem to have it pretty well dialed in now. Even at that every now and then ill find  myself maybe in a gear too high and end up stalling going through a rock garden or a log or somehting while rolling the throttle. For me it seemed like the flywheel weight made the power a lot more usable with the rekluse, at first i didnt have it installed to see what it would feel like,but ended up sticking with the flywheel weight..and im running a 19in rear, 13/51 gearing

Edited by racer078
1 person likes this

The flywheel actually will have the effect of increasing torque output slightly at very low RPM because it helps keep the engine running at a more constant speed  between power strokes.  Because it will slow down less between thumps, it will not have to make up that lost velocity on the next stroke, which means more of the power from each thump can be used to move the bike.  Most noticeable at really low speeds, not even detectable at high RPM or under acceleration.   All upside, no down.

1 person likes this

Thanks for the info. After reading the information provided I will end up with both. One more question, with a hydraulic clutch how does that affect using a rekluse. or does it?

Thanks

with a hydraulic clutch how does that affect using a rekluse. or does it?

Thanks

Depends on which Rekluse. A hydraulic would be fine on the Core EXP, but I don't see it doing very well with the Z-Start Pro or the EXP 3.0 because of the free play variances with those two designs.  There'd be no reason to want one with the ZSP.

I guess I'll be the first to suggest that you practice clutch control.

1 person likes this

Try a 51 or 52 tooth sprocket.  I have about three rides on my '09 woods bike.  I have the heavy flywheel.  Stalled it a lot with 50 tooth. Better with 51.

I was thinking about trying the bigger sprocket with a heavier flywheel. It does not stall a lot, just at the most imopportune time. That combo might be all I need.

Run heavy flywheel and 18 inch rim with idle up a little works great, you will get better with clutch, if money is no issue why not get the reluse too.

1 person likes this