HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Old Custer

2013 locked up transmission

7 posts in this topic

My 55 hours old '13 450 suddenly locked up when I was rolling off the track yesterday. I was about to stop at the pits, so I was doing walking speed and probably just changed to first gear. Tried to find neutral, but shifter wouldn't move. Tried to push her forth and back, but shifter wouldn't budge. Just had to try if the motor would start and yes, she fired up normally with clutch on, but obviously died when I released clutch. Transmission remained rock solid and I had to remove chain to bring her home.

At home I found no metal in the oil and no shavings in the filter either. That was a relief (had a 2011 grenade on me big time when 5th gear broke!). I opened right side case cover but could not see anything out-of-ordinary. No free flowing or missing parts anyways. Have to split the engine, I quess.

Do you guys have any ideas what has caused this? Ever heard of such happening? 

Quess I'm lucky she didn't lock up at speed on the face of a jump...

Well, you can stop quessing ;)

Turned out to be the old achilles heel, the infamous 5th gear. What a stupendous strike of luck that the engaging dog broke off wedging itself between gears at zero speed. Apparrently no damage in the engine and no injuries for me. Wallet and nerves apart...

This was now the second time 5th gear breaks on me. First time two years ago on 2011, at 97 hours. That time result was a total wreck - almost everything in the tranny, cases, oil pump etc. Now this at 55 hours. I've also met a guy to whom same happened at around 200 hours. I see a pattern here, but Yamaha doesn't see a problem.

I hear from Yamaha that you can replace 5th gear with a new one from 2014, but you also have to replace both 3rd gear cogs from 2014. Do you see sense in that?

transmission.JPG

Yes. The 5th "wheel" is the gear that engages both first gear and third (with the broken side).  If the 5th wheel requires a different 3rd because of a change in the dogs, then the need for a third pinion to mesh with the redesigned 3rd wheel seems reasonable.

Thanks for input Gray.

Let me rephrase... I totally understand the need for 3rd gear cogs to be changed, I was wondering more in the line whether this maneuver was worth the extra cost. I mean gears are not that expensive but would the redesigned 5th gear be stronger? Anyone seen and possibly compared the parts? Guess it can't be worse. Then again my friend just destroyed gearbox of his 2014 450F (@ 17 h!) so have to sit on this untill we know what happened there.

One other thing to consider of course is the changing gear ratio of 3rd gear. Could end up with some annoying gap between gears. .

So, finally my friends 2014 450 autopsy report: Whole transmission is totally hammered, cases broken, crank bent etc. Reason is unknown. It just locked up with an audible screech after a jump landing. It was NOT fifth gear dogs like in 10-13 models, nor the shift stopper bearing like in 2014 250F's, but apparrently teeth on third gear just gave up. At least 3rd is in worst shape I hear. 

Bike was a couple of months old, 17 hours in the clock. Oil changed regularly and no real racing.

Could this be the very first 2014 450 to self-destruct? Have anyone heard of other cases?

So, finally my friends 2014 450 autopsy report: Whole transmission is totally hammered, cases broken, crank bent etc. Reason is unknown. It just locked up with an audible screech after a jump landing. It was NOT fifth gear dogs like in 10-13 models, nor the shift stopper bearing like in 2014 250F's, but apparrently teeth on third gear just gave up. At least 3rd is in worst shape I hear.

Bike was a couple of months old, 17 hours in the clock. Oil changed regularly and no real racing.

Could this be the very first 2014 450 to self-destruct? Have anyone heard of other cases?

Are you guys smashing into gears while the throttle is still pinned? I've put a lot of hours on YZ450's and never had this issue. Seems weird you've had two bikes do it with such low hours. Maybe it is just terrible luck of the draw with the bikes your buying.

I wouldn't say we are that harsh on the equipment. Probably on the gentler side of spectrum.

On 10-13 450's the 5th gear has broken on quite a few riders, but I reckon I must be the only one to have it happen twice! This 2014 is another story, and so far the only one I've heard of.