Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChrisPed

YZF400 street legal

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Found a 1998 YZF400 for sale for $3200. Bike is already made street legal and looks to be in good condition. Was wondering a few things about it.

1. The bike is 16 years old, is that old for this bike in particular? How would this have effected this bikes quality as a whole?

2. Would extended road use damage the engine/gearbox when neither are make for this?

3. Is $3200 a good price? I think its a bit high for its age, and will try to talk him down a bit.

4. Is this a good bike? I've read quite a bit about the wr400, how much does this bike differ?

5. I'm a fairly new rider, 5'11", 160lbs, 16yrs. Would thus bike be too much for me to handle?

Don't have any more information at the moment, pending his response.

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys,

Found a 1998 YZF400 for sale for $3200. Bike is already made street legal and looks to be in good condition. Was wondering a few things about it.

1. The bike is 16 years old, is that old for this bike in particular? How would this have effected this bikes quality as a whole?

2. Would extended road use damage the engine/gearbox when neither are make for this?

3. Is $3200 a good price? I think its a bit high for its age, and will try to talk him down a bit.

4. Is this a good bike? I've read quite a bit about the wr400, how much does this bike differ?

5. I'm a fairly new rider, 5'11", 160lbs, 16yrs. Would thus bike be too much for me to handle?

Don't have any more information at the moment, pending his response.

Thanks in advance.

Insanely too much. Bike is worth 1200 tops. If in perfect condition

I believe the seller is asking that much because it is "street legal". If you plan on registering it, make sure the seller has it registered or has in the past to avoid a big disappointment. Make sure you research the laws regarding this in your state.

I sold my 1998 YZ400F a couple months ago for $1,600. I only paid $1,200 for it last year.

With that said, $3,200 seems a little nutty. I can see the value it having it street legal if it is done right. But not that much value.

Too much bike or not would depend on your riding level.

Are you planning on riding it on the street? Man 16 with a street legal bike is kind of nutty. This is coming from a guy that's owned more street bikes than cars. Stay off the street until you're more proficient and you'll live a lot longer.

However. In the right hands. A yz400 for an around town commuter seems like it would be so much fun it should be illegal. Especially if it's comparable to the yz450f

The bike has all the papers necessary, and in fact is currently registered. Around here street legal dirt bikes are far and between (British Columbia), however, I agree he is asking well over the bikes worth. I'm not so much worried about riding on the street here, as it a quiet town with no freeway. My biggest worry is the bikes age itself - 16 years is quite a bit, especially considering this was one of the first 'truly' successful four strokes. Would this bike have aged too much? What was the condition of your yz when you sold it ipsullivan?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By DualsportRider12
      Just installed a new Trail Tech 100 Watt High Output DC Electrical System for Yamaha WR450F 2003-2004 with a brand new battery (130CCA). I am getting 13.6VDC at the battery terminals with the bike at 5000rpms. The owners manual says that you are supposed to 14.1~14.9v @ 50000rmps on the red and black connectors (leads) under the tank. I forgot to check those before installing the tank back. Is 14.1~14.9v what I am supposed to get at the battery terminals as well?

Thanks
    • By Baja Designs
      We are NOW offering AC versions of our popular Squadron and XL Series Motorcycle Lighting!  All you need is a minimum of 40watts AC power and your bike must come factory with a lighting coil. This allows 2 stroke KTM, CRF250/450x, and many other bikes to run our lights with ZERO electrical system modifications.    
      Please See Our Stator Reference Chart For Your Bikes Electrical Output:
      https://www.bajadesi...rence-Chart.asp   "My Bikes output is 50 watts, what can I run?" 40 - 80 watts = Squadron Sport + XL Sport 80 + watts = Squadron Sport, Squadron Pro, XL Sport, XL Pro     WWW.BAJADESIGNS.COM - (800)422-5292X114 - BAILEY@BAJADESIGNS.COM       - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - For Example, Honda CRF250/450X puts out 40W AC from the factory. Previously the owner would need the following to run our Squadron Sport LED Race lights: QTY: 1 - Stator Rewind $175 (12-6029) QTY: 1 - Regulator/Rectifier $49.95 (12-2004) QTY: 1 - Wiring Harness $39.95 (61-1049) QTY: 1 - Squadron Sport, CRF/X LED Light $149.95 (557071) TOTAL: $414.85   NOW ...with these new AC models, the same CRF250/450x owner will need: QTY: 1 - AC Squadron Sport, LED Race Light, RED $199.95 (557071AC) https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Squadron-Sport-AC-LED-CRF-X-Kit.asp TOTAL: $199.95 (TT $179.95) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -     But wait!  There is more!  These AC Models include a Module that is easily removed allowing the light to run on DC Power.  This allows you to transfer the light between bikes if needed.   You can be running our Squadron Pro on a 200 XC/XC-W and switch to your 500 EXC with NO ISSUES     Please Post Up if you have any questions or comments.  More Information Below...   WWW.BAJADESIGNS.COM - (800)422-5292X114 - BAILEY@BAJADESIGNS.COM
    • By joeyalan
      I recently rebuilt a 2001 CR250. It ran when I bought it but it had a crack in the left side of the crank case near the flywheel cover, I'm guessing oil got in when I ran it (like an idiot), and it bogged down and shut off on me after 15 minutes of riding and wouldn't start back up. I since replaced the left side crank case, painted the frame, and put her back together. I did a spark test and got no spark. Forgot to sand down some grounding spots so I did that. Didn't want to take the whole motor out so I sanded as best as I could between engine and engine mounts. Still got nothing. I assumed from my research it was the CDI. Bought an aftermarket HPI CDI box. Still nothing. Got an electrosport stator that came with the wiring harness and pick up coil, still nothing. Got a new kill switch and ignition coil. STILL nothing. Put an extra ground harness from a bolt on the crankcase to a sanded spot on the frame.. annnd nothing.. Anyone have any suggestions? I used a multimeter (when I had access to one) on the old components, they seemed to read just fine.. Is it even worth my time getting my hands on another multimeter to test an all brand new electrical system? Desperate here and trying to avoid taking her to the shop someone please help!!
    • By confederateJACK
      I have a lighting question... I have a 1993 Suzuki DR250P it came stock with a headlight and taillight that runs off of the engine and the bike has no battery.  I would like to put an additional light in the headlight shroud vent under the factory headlight (small rectangle 'vent' spot in the shroud under the headlight) . I know I probably need a very low watt light, but since the lights runs off the engine is there a maximum watt that I need to keep in mind? the factory light is not great and my funds are very limited right now. So upgrading the factory headlight to some over priced brand new set up is not an option, i'm looking for a super cheap LED light (around $5 to $20)  that will fit in the lower vent on the headlight shroud.. Probably 1&1/2" tall (2" tall max) and (1&1/4" tall is ideal),  by 4" long (4&1/2 ideal) 5" max width.  i'll be hooking up a switch so I can turn the 'extra' light off in daytime and turn it on at night for road use. i'd appreciate any exact fitment lights that others have put in this same spot.  I've seen other endure/baja bikes with extra lights in this spot and love the way they look and would love to find one that fits perfect although I have a background in fabrication and can make about anything mount sturdy with custom hand made mounts etc if needed... i'm just having questions about what 'watt' should be my max (or my target watt light) since the lights work off of the engine (and if anyone has put a light here and what they used, and how it worked.)   appreciate any recommendations or advice, Thanks