HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MotoSteve13

Helped Needed w/ YZ426F CDI PLEASE

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys just joined thumper. I have been on supermotojunkie for over a year and it was recommended I try to get help here. I have a 01 YZ426F that I am converting to Supermoto. All rebuilt after picking it up broken but would not start. Determined CDI is dead I have a 2002 yz426f cdi laying around but the part numbers are different will it work?

1 person likes this

Hey guys just joined thumper. I have been on supermotojunkie for over a year and it was recommended I try to get help here. I have a 01 YZ426F that I am converting to Supermoto. All rebuilt after picking it up broken but would not start. Determined CDI is dead I have a 2002 yz426f cdi laying around but the part numbers are different will it work?

I believe it will.

But honestly can't remember.

I'm sure someone who loves blue will be along soon.

From my post last week, didn't know if you'd have any idea...

Got the new cdi today but instead of one plug in wire (I think it's the kill switch) it's got two wires a black and white one and a green one. What do I do with the green? Just cut the plug off and connect the black and white and do nothing with green or ...

Here's the two wiring diagrams.  The only apparent difference is in the way the kill button leads are run. The 2000-'01 runs a single lead from the black box to the kill button, then runs the other side of the button back to ground.  The '02 runs the kill button ground side back into the box, where it presumably connects to the ground internally.  The cleanest thing would be to extend your two KB leads to reach the two B/W and G/B leads at the box, but you can always just use your existing black lead and run only the B/W back to the connector on the new box.  In that case, just cover the empty spot in the connector with tape.

2000.png

2002.png

Here's the two wiring diagrams. The only apparent difference is in the way the kill button leads are run. The 2000-'01 runs a single lead from the black box to the kill button, then runs the other side of the button back to ground. The '02 runs the kill button ground side back into the box, where it presumably connects to the ground internally. The cleanest thing would be to extend your two KB leads to reach the two B/W and G/B leads at the box, but you can always just use your existing black lead and run only the B/W back to the connector on the new box. In that case, just cover the empty spot in the connector with tape.

Sorry for the dummy questions (new to wiring altogether...) my KB leads? Also so your basically saying green fonts need to go anywhere. If I remove the plug on the new cdi connect the wiring harness BW to CDI BW and just tape off the green I should be "jake"? Thanks again gray you are the man!

"KB"= kill button.

Don't know anything about green fonts.

I wouldn't remove the connector from the new CDI, I'd find some terminals at an auto parts store to plug directly into it, or run a T splice connector on the CDI lead so as to preserve its connector, "just in case".   Connect BW to BW, and then black to either its current connector or to the green on the CDI (recommended).  The green wire is just a place for the kill button to ground to.

Correct.

Once I got an auto corrected message that was followed by the corrected word.  I typed "danged auto correct", and the phone subbed  "fanged auto correct" :excuseme: