Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
426 dude

426 maybe blown up?! Help!

7 posts in this topic

Was out riding with some buddy's today and out of nowhere my 2001 yamaha 426f started to stutter then died,the kickstart was locked and wouldn't move even with the decompression lever pulled in,got it back to the shop,turned the crank 1 full turn to see if the top and bottom end was toast and it moved fine,once I turned the crank the kickstart was unlocked and it fired back up,gave it a bit of fuel and it died and was locked again,anyone know what's going on? Thanks in advance

Was out riding with some buddy's today and out of nowhere my 2001 yamaha 426f started to stutter then died,the kickstart was locked and wouldn't move even with the decompression lever pulled in,got it back to the shop,turned the crank 1 full turn to see if the top and bottom end was toast and it moved fine,once I turned the crank the kickstart was unlocked and it fired back up,gave it a bit of fuel and it died and was locked again,anyone know what's going on? Thanks in advance

For future reference. If the Kickstart locks up after the engine dies, do not try to fire it up again. There's a reason it's locked up. All firing it up again will do is deal more damage internally. Break it down.

Just pray your valvetrain is in one piece

Ummm, if he got it to restart then his valve train is fine, well atleast not grenaded.

A worn rod bearing can jam solidly enough to seize the engine but release when rotated backward.  Then it may run "normally" for some period and do it again.

1 person likes this