Mohard Racing Radiator Guards

I took a solid hit to my right radiator during the last race - inside of a turn, lost my front end momentarily, and my radiator hit the only boulder for several yards - it wasn't even an actual wreck.  Without good solid radiator guards, my radiator would have been demolished; it hit hard right at the top outside part on the rad tank.  As it was, the radiator still got pretty torqued and my Mohard guard, arguably the strongest guard on the market, got pretty torqued as well but it took most of the force (see right side of last picture).  The pictures don't look too bad, but the right radiator was squished back into the gas tank to where I couldn't even remove the radiator cap.  In fact, if it weren't for these radiator guards, and then later on, the Tubliss system up front, there's no way I would have even finished, and I would have been stuck out miles from anything, limping to the closest check point most likely.  Anyway, before I contacted Mohard to see what I needed to do, I decided to use my vise, dead blow hammer, and arm strength to tweak the guard back into shape.  It worked!  I hand bent the radiator back into shape with it mounted on the bike, then bolted the guard back up...good to go!  Nice and straight (no picture proof...).

Seriously, though, if you ride in gnarly desert, rocks, crash a lot, or whatever, these Mohards are worth the extra money.  I've got standard Enduro Engineering braces on my YZ, so we'll see how they do in time, although they probably won't see the abuse the Mohards do.

IMAG0768.jpg

Different radiator cap...

IMAG0778.jpg

IMAG0782.jpg

• Like 1

I have the Mohards on my '07 WR450 and ride tight, techy stuff in the CA desert in the Winter and same but up in Kennedy Meadows in the Summer (up to 9,500' el) and don't have an issue with overheating. IMO, they offer the best protection all around, but they are also the heaviest mofo's. They have an extension that wraps around the bottom of the rad about an inch for additional protection. Again, just great protection but with the added oz's.

and with those thick plates u dont get any heat problems?

Compared to the stock plastic radiator roost guards, which are angled and likely restrict airflow a bit while redirecting the air, these guards have machined openings in the front plate that allow the air to flow straight through while keeping pebble-sized stuff and bigger out. In fact, Mohard touts this feature on their product page with the claim, "Honeycomb design for great airflow." It's more of a diamond pattern, but whatever. I haven't really had an overheating problem in either configuration, but I'm inclined to agree.

Kenny's right though, they are weighty, but the protection is unmatched. They probably add an extra pound or two over standard guards/braces. I know guys get by all day with Devols (I see lots of those), EE, Moose, WC, and others, but hit for hit, in the worst stuff, I don't think anything matches the toughness of these Mohards. The only other one I considered that also look really good is the Flatland Racing rad guards, but I've never seen them in person.

Mohards are the BEST period

I have tried everything else.

The Next best are the 'cage' type from EE, Moose, etc.

Do you know if MSR and Moose racing guards are manufactured by the same company?

They looked identical in the dealer catalog for the two companies.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Q4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

Edited by revelc

Do you know if MSR and Moose racing guards are manufactured by the same company?

They looked identical in the dealer catalog for the two companies.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F ECU, GYTR tuner, Q4, MSR rad guards, Cycra Pros, and a growing wish list...

I noticed the same thing and assumed that they are

• Like 1