HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StigM

Wr426f supermoto, street

11 posts in this topic

Hi. I have this 2001 426.

The issue i'm having is chain slap on the rear tire, quite badly...

The chain has eaten about 10mm'ish roughly from the wheel.

Anyone know of any ready made products on the market that are mountable to get rid of the problem?

Or do i have to make one myself?

I have a 150 rear tire and it looks quite awesome so i'm not really willing to change it for a narrower tire xP

Edited by StigM

I will be no help what so ever, but I will try to pump you for information and share my bike.

You say you're running a 150 rear tire, which is what I'm looking to run on my 01 wr426f, one I get it converted to a supermoto.

But, what size rear wheel are you running? Front wheel and tire size? Who'd you order from and did you have any issues with the install

(Other than this chain slap)?

Don't know too much about the slightly older ones. But the graves chain blocks work. Also check your wheel dish if it's centered or too closely laced to the chain side.

You shouldn't have any problems with a wm 6 rear rim and a 150 tire.

Take a look at supermotojunkie.com

I got a lot of info there when I built my KTM.

I believe my old KTM had a chain guard on it that ran up along side the tire to deflect the chain from chewing the rubber.

Of course the chain was on the right side of the swing arm so you couldn't retro fit it to your Yamaha is you wanted to.

Don't know too much about the slightly older ones. But the graves chain blocks work. Also check your wheel dish if it's centered or too closely laced to the chain side.

I've checked it a couple of times to be sure.

Starting to think i may need to off-senter the wheel?

Or try to fabricate some kind of chain slider from aluminium and polyurethane or some material like it

I will be no help what so ever, but I will try to pump you for information and share my bike.

You say you're running a 150 rear tire, which is what I'm looking to run on my 01 wr426f, one I get it converted to a supermoto.

But, what size rear wheel are you running? Front wheel and tire size? Who'd you order from and did you have any issues with the install

(Other than this chain slap)?

Nice bike :) 150/60 on 17"rims, its the way to go ;)

Front wheel is 100 or 110, 17" at work now I'll check l8r.

Bought them from a local dealer, and they also installed it. Pretty sure mounting the tires yourself is bad nightmare xP much stiffer then MX :)

And nope, no other issues :)

Edited by StigM

Nice bike :) 150/60 on 17"rims, its the way to go ;)

Front wheel is 100 or 110, 17" at work now I'll check l8r.

Bought them from a local dealer, and they also installed it. Pretty sure mounting the tires yourself is bad nightmare xP much stiffer then MX :)

And nope, no other issues :)

Agreed on the 17's, but do you know the width's of the rims?

I hear a 5" is too wide on the rear. But most kits I'm seeing are either a 4.5" wide rear wheel. Or a 4.25. I'm pretty set on getting a a set of warp 9's, and going with a 4.5" wide rear wheel, and run a 150 rear tire, but I am curious if it's that easy. It looks like that's your setup on the rear.

I've checked it a couple of times to be sure.

Starting to think i may need to off-senter the wheel?

Or try to fabricate some kind of chain slider from aluminium and polyurethane or some material like it

You shouldn't be having any big chain problems. If your tire has swing arm room on the right side then your wheel needs to be dished to the right. It has been a common mistake that is easily fixable. Look on u tube to DIY or have a competent shop or person take care of it.