Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MX974

2001 YZ426 Common Problems?

17 posts in this topic

I am considering buying a 2001 YZ426. Are there any common problems with the 2001 like the clutch basket problems on the 2000 YZ426 and the kickstarter on the 1998 YZ400? Anything special to look or listen for when looking at a used one?

Thanks,

Jay

Hey guys..I'm here to ease your minds..the 01' is a great bike..the BK mod is all I could recommend along w/the use of Mobil 1 15/50..I bought mine in Oct of 00' and am on the same top-end and original clutch..with no signs of wearing out soon! The suspension is great for motox and can be made to love the off road as well..there is power to spare and you gan gear according to personal tastes! All in all a great bike..been very happy w/my purchase..I have a 12oz flywheel weight re-vavled forks, Cycra hand guards and a skid plate. .its a tough bike! Cal..BTW..I'm Blue Thunder on XDB and DRN..I ride w/BigLou..you need a 426..trust me! Later, Jason

The only common problem I have had on my 01 is the allen head bolt stripping out from the oil filter cover/case - due to drain hole in the sleeve. Metal particles fall into this & get caught in the bolt threads. Over time they will all strip out.

I fixed this with a time-cert & blocked the drain hole off. No problems since.......

The '01 is an absolutely bullet-proof bike, BUY IT!! The only issues I have experienced on my bike are a loose clutch cover bolt and a small leak (no visible oil) out of the inside edge of my chain adjuster gasket which collects dirt after a ride.

Chewy

I've had my '01 for several months now (got it new) and I love it! I've made no changes at all other than suspension adjustments and so far it runs like a champ. No major problems, haven't even needed to adjust the valves yet (just checked them after my last ride). It did start fouling plugs, but changing brands of gas completely cured the problem.

For a used bike I would check the usual stuff. Maybe start a new thread on what to check on used bikes and I'm sure you'll get a pile of info. Good luck!

Agreed on the plug fouling. It was terrible, the bike would just sputter and die ten minutes into a ride with a new plug. And two of my friends had the same problem. I got a new CDI which "fixed" my problem, but by then it was spring (no ethanol mandate). Now I suspect it was the ethanol all along. (Yeah I did switch gas early in my sleuthing but I suspect I just got another batch of ethanol gas). I can switch gas now and make the problem reoccur. Its funny because my WR250F doesn't care about the gas, it would probably run on dishwater.

Otherwise, mine is stone cold reliable. Over 20 hours of HS/MX racing and many times that in practice. But one of my friends 01YZ426 just blew its tranny. $900 to fix.

Thanks guys for all the information. I have heard of the BK mod on this board, what is it? What brand of gas would you recomend to reduce the plug fouling? I ususally get Mobil gas at a local station and haven't had problems with the son's YZ250 and my old YZ400 that I sold last year.

My YZ400 trany went out and cost $800 to fix. The countershaft bearing failed and broke the cases and other internal parts.

Thanks again!

Jay

Mobil is the one that did not work for me. I now use Chevron and haven't fouled a plug since changing brands. I've also used a no-name station called Marathon next to the track and though it didn't run quite the same it didn't foul any plugs either.

The Mobil brew may be different in your area, but in my area it stinks (makes my truck ping and knock too).

I too, only suffer from the cold weather plug fouling....it will actually start, run for a second or two, then die, it will do this 2 or 3 times, then it is completely fouled...

I pop a new plug in, and whammo, it starts and goes fine...the plug readings show a proper mixture (light tannish) and I am going to try some C12 since I get it free from a pal that drag races and sells VP fuels...

I am also going to try the BK mod since my bike does suffer from the infamous low end bog on slower tighter tracks, like SX style stuff where you have to whack the throttle wide open to hammer some slow ass whoops or in very tight corners...also I seem to be a bit lean on top end as it will flatten out in cooler weather...

I had my 01 for over a year and rode at least 2-3 weekends a month. It still had the same plug in it. I did the BK mod and that was it. No problems at all. Now my best friend has it and I reget selling it sometimes. Also keep in mind that ThumperTalk is Q & A site, so most of the posts are going to represent problems that a few of these bikes have. We are not going to hear from the thousands that are problem free. Two other friends of mine also have problem free YZ's.

Originally posted by Jason in KC:

Hey guys..I'm here to ease your minds..the 01' is a great bike..the BK mod is all I could recommend along w/the use of Mobil 1 15/50..I bought mine in Oct of 00' and am on the same top-end and original clutch..with no signs of wearing out soon! The suspension is great for motox and can be made to love the off road as well..there is power to spare and you gan gear according to personal tastes! All in all a great bike..been very happy w/my purchase..I have a 12oz flywheel weight re-vavled forks, Cycra hand guards and a skid plate. .its a tough bike! Cal..BTW..I'm Blue Thunder on XDB and DRN..I ride w/BigLou..you need a 426..trust me! Later, Jason

When I saw "KC" I wondered...

Hey, you're the one with 9 toes aren't you? :)

BigLou's a character isn't he. He's still REALLY squemish about head-ons. (I can't blame him)

You should have ridden with us when I was out at Merwin last thanksgiving. Look forward to riding with the KC group sometime. Hopefully I'll be on a 426 when I do. You guys need to come to KY and ride with us. 2500 acres and over 100 miles of trails at one riding area.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at one this Friday. I'm not sure what to think of it. It has been raced 30+ A class for one season. I can't decide if that's a plus or a minus. It has been ridden by an experienced rider, but it has also been ridden hard, or at least fast. We'll see what it looks like and go from there. I imagine at some point in time I will put a flywheel weight on one. Could you tell a reasonable amount of difference with yours?

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: CAL ]

The only "common" problems have been scattered plug fouling issues. Search TT for "Foul mouth = foul plugs" and you'll get quite a bit of info. FWIW, the problems *seem* to be cold-weather related and quite a few have found the ethanol in the local gas supply to be a contributor.

Otherwise, I've had a couple minor things break but overall, I agree with everyone else, they're bulletproof!

Merf

Hey now...that's 9.5 toes..Lou helped out in that department..damn KTM's just don't know which way a trail goes...LOL It was a freak deal..oh well. I've been riding since October but that spell from August til then was brutal..

Just check the bike over and ride it through the gears..don't listen for funky stuff..these bikes are noisy and you would just panic by getting close to it while running! I think the flywheel is a must even for motox..I have thought about having mine machined down from a 12 to a 10 but it works very well..easier starting, better low end chug and more traction if that is possible..the DRZ's are great but the 426 has to be one of the most universal bike I have ever ridden..you can go from the woods to the track w/only a slight clicker adjustment. Take care and good luck w/your bike search.

Why 01 when you can have the new and improved 02? Remaped ign, re-carbed = no BK unless you just have to, better brakes and bigger rotors to stop you with, steeper steering angle to steer you. Nothing real earth shaking but worth thinking about..Either way your a winner..

SoCal

I put my bike through hell and not one problem yet. I would recommend some reinforcemt on the rads, they are way to weak.