Wow these bikes are CHOKED UP

I had a 2014 WR250R that recently burnt up in a minor crash ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407586259.607698.jpg

It was a zippy little bike after I modded it. It had an FMF Megabomb, tuner, and pipe with +9 teeth in the rear and it would leave all my buddies behind in the tight stuff. I put about 5,000 miles on it before it happened became a crispy critter and I loved it dearly.

After I started looking for a new bike I came across a brand new 2012 WR450F for $5,500 at a dealer an hour away. I am a 6'3" 220 pounds so I figured I could use the extra oomph. It also sounded like a steal because even with a list of parts it was cheaper than the list price on the WR250R.

We took a trip to Marshal and picked it up with a riding buddy.

I took it out for a ride yesterday and I feel like the WR250R had MORE get up and go than my WR450F even with the snorkel and peashooter removed. My buddies 10 year old XR400R and KDX200 were leaving me behind on the straightaways.

I ordered the ECU and tuner as well as an FMF Q4 slip on. Will those mods bring out the beast I was hoping for?

Don't get me wrong the new bike is chuggable but it feels like its breathing through a sock.

I also ordered some Cycra hand guards, MSR radiator guards (they looked identical to the Moose Racing ones), and a Seat Concepts seat as we do 90% woods riding/single track.

2014 WRR R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F

Edited by revelc

Do they still come with the throttle stop that only allows for half throttle? It sure sounds like it.

It definitely feels like the throttle doesn't travel all the way.

Breathing through a straw with a sock over the end is pretty correct. The ECU and Pipe will wake it up alot!! make sure that you have the correct throttle stop screw in place or you only get around half throttle.

I'm hoping your right.

Well I did some reading and it looks like the ECU includes a shorter throttle stop. Can I just remove the old one temporarily?

2014 WRR lots of mods R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F in the process of modding

If you don't want to wait for the comp ecu that comes with the short yz throttle stop screw

You can remove yours( bottom right of right side throttle body) its a tamper proof torx, and cut it so it's only about 1/4 in long and reinsert.

Well I won't take it out yet then.

Another question.

Don't these bikes come with decompression levers? Mine didn't. Am I missing something here?

Well I won't take it out yet then.

Another question.

Don't these bikes come with decompression levers? Mine didn't. Am I missing something here?

There is no deomp lever

You don't need it

It has auto decompression inside

Please don't tell me you want to use it while riding.....

• Like 1

There is no deomp lever

You don't need it

It has auto decompression inside

Please don't tell me you want to use it while riding.....

I just came across a thread mentioning having one. I didn't know if it should or not. This bike is a PITA to hot start.

I just came across a thread mentioning having one. I didn't know if it should or not. This bike is a PITA to hot start.

That's cause it's stock, and know one has shown you how and when to use the hot start.

You must re-ECU, re-map, and change the intake and exhaust, or it will always run too hot.

That's cause it's stock, and know one has shown you how and when to use the hot start.

You must re-ECU, re-map, and change the intake and exhaust, or it will always run too hot.

Will the stock filter be ok? I have everything else covered and the snorkels removed from the air box.

Holy crap!

I just put on the Race ECU and it COMPLETELY changed the bike, even without the new throttle stop in it changed the behavior altogether.

NOW it feels like a 450.

• Like 1