HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kcizik

Intro and new project

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I just moved over from a DRZ to a 2009 WR450.  I'm pretty excited to get this thing going.  

I brought my DRZ down from New York to here in Central America 3 years ago, and it served me well and it took me all over this country.  After a while I realized I wanted a more fun trail bike.  Unfortunately your average WR goes for more than $5k.  So then I found this one.  It was in an accident and needs some work.  It's been molested by many hack mechanics and hasn't been cared for that well. To make matters worse, while it sat it was pillaged.  I did get it cheap for down here, the only problem is parts.  I basically have to import them all.  So it's almost like a bit of a treasure hunt.  

So; I'm excited to get it going.  The trails down here are epic.  

I know as well many of you have stock piles of spares.  If you want to sell them, get rid of them, or know someone that has send me a pm.

Some of the big parts I need are:  

Water pump cover, impeller, stator cover, levers, shifter rod & shifter, front caliper's bajo bolt, caliper hardware, rear rotor and lots more.  Hit me up if you have parts for sale.

Here's some of the pics, starting with my old DRZ, how I bought it and it how the bike stands

I'll post up the progress as the parts roll in.

IMG_4486.jpg

IMG_0642.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0644.JPG

Ok, so I was able to order a bunch of things to get this going.  I did have some questions: for the AIS delete, is the Yamaha kit the only one? What do you guys typically run for a battery in these things?

Do you have web access where you are? I find that BikeBandit.com has a great microfiche that allows you to identify parts quite easily

You battery is a  YTZ7S, In google, type in 'battery, YTZ7S' and I'm pretty sure you will find what you need

You should also get a fact manual since you will prob be doing alot of the work yourself it seems

I have the .pdf ver of the 07 450 manual if you give me an email address

.....Must be interesting fetching parts in a foriegn country

A nice running WR goes for $5K !!

How good is your spanish?....local in-country web sites SHOULD be faster

What is distribution (FedEx , UPS, etc) like down there?

I should fill a container full of nice bikes and you sell them down there

There is a link on here somewhere that is very detailed on how to delete the AIS system

Ok, so I was able to order a bunch of things to get this going.  I did have some questions: for the AIS delete, is the Yamaha kit the only one? What do you guys typically run for a battery in these things?

The Yamaha GYTR is a good kit. It comes with block off plugs,plates, jets and instructions.

Do you have web access where you are? I find that BikeBandit.com has a great microfiche that allows you to identify parts quite easily

You battery is a  YTZ7S, In google, type in 'battery, YTZ7S' and I'm pretty sure you will find what you need

You should also get a fact manual since you will prob be doing alot of the work yourself it seems

I have the .pdf ver of the 07 450 manual if you give me an email address

.....Must be interesting fetching parts in a foriegn country

A nice running WR goes for $5K !!

How good is your spanish?....local in-country web sites SHOULD be faster

What is distribution (FedEx , UPS, etc) like down there?

I should fill a container full of nice bikes and you sell them down there

Pm sent, thanks!

I can get stuff shipped. Usually it's customs that kills the whole process. Since bikes of this category are rare here, it makes the price for them and parts crazy expensive. Most ppl run around on Chinese 125cc bikes. To put things in perspective, the guy paid close to $12k for this thing

Hey so I received a heap of parts for this thing already.  I'm beginning to find out what I'm missing as well. One of those MIA is the regulator/rectifier. Could someone post up a pic of the stock one and it's location?

Thanks!

Hey guys, could really use some help. I figured out the regulator/rectifier.

The problem at hand is the routing of the crank breather hoses. Can anybody chime in with some help or pics?