2015 Wr 450

On July 29 2014 

I picked up a 2015 WR450. My option was buy a 2014 from the local dealers or buy a 2015 from a rural for $1500 less. Tough decision!!!!! 

Haven't  had a chance to look at it let alone play with it. The only thing i have gotten so far is the uncork kit from the dealer. Thats not even in yet! 

I have registered it as a street bike so it will be getting the dual sport kit. Which is the best kit? Can these stators be rewound for more power? Or is it even necessary?

What other befits can be had to enhance the enjoyment of the new WR? 

I'm also interested in the need for a rewind as I plan to plate mine.

I removed the air box snorkel and muffler pipe. It made a difference but still feels really choked up. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407589709.385467.jpg

I found a brand new 2012 for $5,500 an hour away. I am really pleased with the fact I saved $1,200 off the bat compared to a WR250R it was replacing.

Are you ordering the GYTR power tuner as well as the Race ECU? It's a nice little piece of equipment.

I'd recommend an after market exhaust as the stock one is very restricted. I ordered an FMF Q4 to open it up but still keep the noise level down. I couldn't seem to find definitive answers on whether or not the header was necessary to replace so its staying for now.

To further answer your question how do you plan on riding?

2014 WRR lots of mods R.I.Pieces

2012 WR450F in the process of modding

Edited by revelc

Picking up my 2014 tomorrow.....just sold my wr250x. Wondering if the power tuner is the best option of go with a power commander. What is the I cork kit. Is that the ecu and throttle screw?

I just came from a WR250R myself.

Congratulations on the new bike. In stock form I bet it will feel very similar to your old ride.

The uncorking kit is the Yamaha race ECU and shorter screw. The PC tuner is nice and offers more refined tuning if you get a gear position sensor ( not many riders will need this).

Or did you mean I cork kit? If so I've never heard of it.

I opted for the GYTR tuner as it works in conjunction with the race ECU, offers 18 mapping areas (fuel and fire), and its portability enables you to tune it on the trail in under a minute. It also displays parameters and other info so it made the choice pretty easy for me.

Edited by revelc

Does it matter what exhaust is on the bike if you use the GYTR tuner? I'm a Yoshimura fan and not fussy on the FMF.

To be honest I haven't found any maps specific to mods on the new fuel injected bikes. I like the Yoshi pipes too I just wanted a slip on that I knew would be quiet. Highway trips can become unpleasant with a louder pipe.

I would assume that ECU will read the amount of airflow and adjust the tuning parameters accordingly.

It's a different animal than the FMF tuner you might have used on your WRX.

To be honest I haven't found any maps specific to mods on the new fuel injected bikes. I like the Yoshi pipes too I just wanted a slip on that I knew would be quiet. Highway trips can become unpleasant with a louder pipe.

I would assume that ECU will read the amount of airflow and adjust the tuning parameters accordingly.

It's a different animal than the FMF tuner you might have used on your WRX.

I used the power commander 5 and autotune and made my own map for the wrx but I like the idea behind the tuner. Yammie sells the FMF pipe and they have preprogrammed maps from what I can tell for the tuner. The gytr tuner works the same as the fmf tuner just with the screen. The power commander has more range....not that all that range is needed. I looked at a PCV map on their site and there's 25% fuel added down low to mid range on the wr450 with fmf pipe. I assume that's with stock ecu and not the upgrade with throttle screw.

I used the power commander 5 and autotune and made my own map for the wrx but I like the idea behind the tuner. Yammie sells the FMF pipe and they have preprogrammed maps from what I can tell for the tuner. The gytr tuner works the same as the fmf tuner just with the screen. The power commander has more range....not that all that range is needed. I looked at a PCV map on their site and there's 25% fuel added down low to mid range on the wr450 with fmf pipe. I assume that's with stock ecu and not the upgrade with throttle screw.

Nice. I really wish I had the money at the time to get the PCV when I had the WRR. Maybe you can get another one with an 02 bung in your header for a more robust tune.

The GYTR tuner is a little different from the FMF turd as it can adjust ignition retard/advance as well as fuel metering increase/decrease.

It also has mapping points at varied RPMs to adjust the power band and punch.

Edited by revelc

Just got the bike home....rode it around the yard and the throttle only turns quarter the ways....where is the infamous throttle screw located...anyone have a pic?

I am on my way to work to pick up my safety torx bits. I can take a few pics in about an hour.

The ECU it comes with REALLY wakes up the bike. Even without the replacement screw.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407798554.010142.jpg

Remove this hose

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407798591.209543.jpg

Unclip this wire holder and move wires out of your way.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407798656.492794.jpg

There it is. The little black nubbin.

Break it loose with a T25 Torx bit attached to a 1/4 ratchet. Unscrew by hand. I was able to stuff my XL glove size hand in there and remove the old one. Put the new one in supplied with ECU and in 15 minutes you double your power.

It went from a slouch to a 4th gear power wheelie machine.

Edited by revelc
  • Like 1

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407798554.010142.jpg

Remove this hose

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407798591.209543.jpg

Unclip this wire holder and move wires out of your way.

📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407798656.492794.jpg

There it is. The little black nubbin.

Break it loose with a T25 Torx bit attached to a 1/4 ratchet. Unscrew by hand. I was able to stuff my XL glove size hand in there and remove the old one. Put the new one in supplied with ECU and in 15 minutes you double your power.

It went from a slouch to a 4th gear power wheelie machine.

That's perfect thanks.....does the competition ecu and stock ecu have the same fuel map or does it come with a different one? Curious to know if the tuner is needed or if the bike just plain out rips with competition ecu?

That's perfect thanks.....does the competition ecu and stock ecu have the same fuel map or does it come with a different one? Curious to know if the tuner is needed or if the bike just plain out rips with competition ecu?

I actually installed the competition ECU first without the throttle screw and it definitely made the difference. It has a different map than the stock ECU. It started a lot easier and ran like a scalded cat. Then once I put the short screw in I could wind the throttle out even more.

You were right about mods because there is maps that came in the instructions for different mods as well as stock ones for different conditions. But you must use the tuner to enter them.

I got my ECU on Amazon for less than $90. I'd recommend starting there then determining if you want the tuner.

Here is a pic of the spark arrestor. ..

Do you feel like it made a difference? I left mine in but removed the end pipe.

At least your bike will have a mellow break in before you get the ECU.

Taking the spark arrestor out wont help. the transfer pipe between the baffles is the same diameter as the pea shooter. The stock silencer has to go.

Seriously?

I'm a little worried about putting an aftermarket pipe on now. It's already VERY strong after the ECU.

Seriously?

I'm a little worried about putting an aftermarket pipe on now. It's already VERY strong after the ECU.

You'll be fine.  The power stays very controllable.  If its too much, you can easily detune it with the programmer.

I don't know why we see long threads discussing performance on the stock WR450s.   Everyone knows they are plugged up and detuned.  First steps on the 2012+s should be to install the competition ECU and remove the throttle stop bolt.  There is no use discussing issues before that occurs.  

The next steps to more performance are reprogramming the idle mixture, replacing/modifying the stock exhaust and then programming a different map into the ECU.  After that its time for YZ cams. 

This sequence of operations allows one to set the power of a 2012+ WR450F to anywhere between 20ish HP (stock) to over 50HP and tailor the throttle response to just about anything the rider desires, all for relatively low cost.  It doesn't get much better than that, especially considering the WR450 engine is basically bulletproof.

If you need more performance than a WR450F has with these mods, its time to start looking at a 450 MX bike.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy