Hot start plunger question

Had my bike (2004 wr450f) out today in tight woods.  It was of course getting a bit hotter from working harder and moving slower.  It was hard to start hot.  The hot start was disconnected by one of the previous owners.  a plug was put in its place with a spring and a plunger in the carb.  I am getting the zip-ty nut on as well

Turns out the valves clearances were a bit tight too so getting that sorted as well.  That may have something to do with it.

My question is I have read in other threads about lubing the plunger and the seal to make sure it is nice and air tight, but what do I lube it with?  I am just concerned because I don't want it to disolve with the gas vapor (if any) or melt and drip out and plug something.

Edited by 300lbsgorilla

The o-ring should be made to hold up to gas. Some people use assembly lube others just use a dab of regular grease.

Had my bike (2004 wr450f) out today in tight woods.  It was of course getting a bit hotter from working harder and moving slower.  It was hard to start hot.  The hot start was disconnected by one of the previous owners.  a plug was put in its place with a spring and a plunger in the carb.  I am getting the zip-ty nut on as well

Turns out the valves clearances were a bit tight too so getting that sorted as well.  That may have something to do with it.

My question is I have read in other threads about lubing the plunger and the seal to make sure it is nice and air tight, but what do I lube it with?  I am just concerned because I don't want it to disolve with the gas vapor (if any) or melt and drip out and plug something.

Hi mate, I had hot start plunger woes once & tried all sorts of different types of grease, I now use anti-seize, no drama's since, just throwing it out there, ROOSTA out!

Yes, I use Honda Anti-sieze on the plunger, mixed with waterproof grease