Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steve1169

Why is my bike so easy to kick over?

7 posts in this topic

I took it in for a valve check/adjustment and a leak down test.

The guy took the engine right out and tore it down checking everything out because I just bought it.

Leak down test was perfect.

Since I got it back it kicks over VERY easily. Unless I get it to TDC then kick it it's super easy to kick over now.

Still starts no problem, still has tons of power, just kicking over is like a knife through butter.

It's a 04 wr450 by the way.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Maybe because it is running good?  Try running the gas dry and see if it is still the same. 

I thought my old KTM 200 felt soft one day.  So, I slowly kicked it - very slowly - it seemed like compression was zero - and then suddenly it started!

Reminds me of an old Model A trick - shut off engine with throttle open.  Turn on ignition after engine stops.  Move spark advance lever - engine starts without touching starter!

Or, maybe you only "think" it is running great.  Maybe it has low compression and could be much faster?

Maybe, just maybe, the mechanic has everything adjusted to spec and it is starting the way it's supposed to. Could have been out of spec before.

Don't know if the bike has it, but an auto decomp in the cams. I thought the same thing with my bike.

Don't know if the bike has it, but an auto decomp in the cams. I thought the same thing with my bike.

This was my thought.....maybe decompress was not working before, but now is.

Also, as stated, everything is in spec now? But I would expect a bike to kick over a bit harder when everything in is spec vs not....but I'm not a 4T guy.....

This was my thought.....maybe decompress was not working before, but now is.

Also, as stated, everything is in spec now? But I would expect a bike to kick over a bit harder when everything in is spec vs not....but I'm not a 4T guy.....

If the valves were tight they were holding in compression quicker/longer