HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bullock93

First bike suggestions

23 posts in this topic

Hey all!, I am new to TT and need some help! I am looking to buy a WR250 or a WR450. I am 21, 5'6 maybe 5,7 and 230lbs i will be doing some highway riding 100km/h but mostly city and back roads riding and some trails. If i was lighter i would go with the 250 but since i weight a little more i am leaning towards the wr450. Any help will be great!

Edited by Bullock93

Just for the fact you Intend to use it on open roads I'd go the 450. It won't be revving as hard at 100ks

Edited by AddictedToBling
1 person likes this

A 450 is too much power and too much bike for a first time rider. Plus the WR450 is not a true dual sport, it's a plated dirt bike. Not good for something commuted on, highway miles, etc. Get a WR250R it's a great bike and will do everything you want.

A 450 is too much power and too much bike for a first time rider. Plus the WR450 is not a true dual sport, it's a plated dirt bike. Not good for something commuted on, highway miles, etc. Get a WR250R it's a great bike and will do everything you want.

So. You're saying a 450 would be no good on the highway but a WR 250 would be good :lol: . Ooooo kay  :rolleyes:

So. You're saying a 450 would be no good on the highway but a WR 250 would be good :lol: . Ooooo kay  :rolleyes:

No, I'm saying a bike that wheelies with just a whiff of throttle in the lower gears is not a good choice for a beginner rider, because it isn't. Derp.

If pure highway riding was the OP's main focus, any dual sport, let alone a plated dirt bike, is a bad choice. But he said mostly city riding and back roads, with some trails. The WR250R is perfect for that. I see plenty of 250Rs and 250Xs being commuted on the freeways around Seattle, they do just fine.

Edited by GP1K

Gp1k has a point with the wheelie thing I ride a yz 400 (obviously not a dual sport) and it is really powerful on asphalt like when I test a new part and don't have the money to go out somewhere, but I know that if you don't just go full throttle right off the line and use your brain it's probably perfect to go with a 450 dual sport

What does that even mean? :rolleyes:

Yamaha 's SUCK !  :lol: .

It's a WR 450. Not a YZF. It won't be that quick to get on the rear wheel. He can also gear it appropriately for how he'll use it.

I had a CRF 250X. No way I'd commute on it,  unless there was no choice.

Gp1k has a point with the wheelie thing I ride a yz 400 (obviously not a dual sport) and it is really powerful on asphalt like when I test a new part and don't have the money to go out somewhere, but I know that if you don't just go full throttle right off the line and use your brain it's probably perfect to go with a 450 dual sport

A WR has no where near the "hit" of a YZF, even a 400.

Yamaha 's SUCK !  :lol: .

It's a WR 450. Not a YZF. It won't be that quick to get on the rear wheel. He can also gear it appropriately for how he'll use it.

I had a CRF 250X. No way I'd commute on it,  unless there was no choice.

You don't know WTF you're talking about, so just shut up already. If you think Yamahas suck, why are you on a WR forum? Just trolling?

I own one and ride one, and it wheelies like mad in the lower 3 gears, all throttle, not clutch, no bounce. Just twist and go. If you think that bike can't wheelie, then you just don't know how to ride, or are scared to twist the throttle.

A 250X and WR250R are two very different bikes. One is factory built dual sport, with a six speed tranny. The other is pure trail bike, with a 5-speed. Shall we compare more apples and oranges, genius?

And the 250 has a 6th gear. It's probably the closest to perfect overall for a brand new rider, even at 230 lbs.

Although a stock, choked up WR450 is pretty close to the 250 in the performance department, with options to increase power as abilities improve.

Edit: FWIW, I started typing this before the previous 3 posts.

Edited by RockerWR450

Yeah I assumed it would be a way different feel that's why I recommended it haha. I wouldn't say Yamaha sucks but I would take a 2 stroke kx over it any day!

You'll be fine on a WR450. It's an easy to ride bike. The 250 isn't bad either. My 09 is street legal and it does great except on the highway.

And the 250 has a 6th gear. It's probably the closest to perfect overall for a brand new rider, even at 230 lbs.

Although a stock, choked up WR450 is pretty close to the 250 in the performance department, with options to increase power as abilities improve.

The R and X have 6 gears, the F has 5. I have a plated 250F. My dad has the 450 and my 250 are both miles apart from a R or X in performance.

9BFE6664-538C-458B-AC58-C4FDB80C23D8_zps

1 person likes this

You don't know &%$#@! you're talking about, so just shut up already. If you think Yamahas suck, why are you on a WR forum? Just trolling?

I own one and ride one, and it wheelies like mad in the lower 3 gears, all throttle, not clutch, no bounce. Just twist and go. If you think that bike can't wheelie, then you just don't know how to ride, or are scared to twist the throttle.

A 250X and WR250R are two very different bikes. One is factory built dual sport, with a six speed tranny. The other is pure trail bike, with a 5-speed. Shall we compare more apples and oranges, genius?

Maybe you're just AWESOME  :lol:  :lol: :lol: . 

OK . A 250 will be better than a 450 on highway use :rolleyes: .

The fact you ride a WR 450 says I need to know about you :p . You're on the girls bike but I can't ride :lol:  OK :thumbsup: .  

The R and X have 6 gears, the F has 5. I have a plated 250F. My dad has the 450 and my 250 are both miles apart from a R or X in performance.

9BFE6664-538C-458B-AC58-C4FDB80C23D8_zps

Yeah, I know - I didn't think the F was on the table, but you're exactly right. I should've differentiated.

Maybe you're just AWESOME  :lol:  :lol: :lol: . 

OK . A 250 will be better than a 450 on highway use :rolleyes: .

The fact you ride a WR 450 says I need to know about you :p . You're on the girls bike but I can't ride :lol:  OK :thumbsup: .  

Maybe you just can't ride, troll.

Wow you're dense. Highway riding is not the OP's primary concern. Reading comprehension > you. 

I ride a KTM and a Honda too... and I've owned Suzukis and Kawasakis as well. The fact that you think a WR450 is a 'girls bike' tell me what a &%$#@!ing idiot troll you are. Go hug a dick with your brand bashing immature bullshit and leave the advice giving to the adults that know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to bikes, which you clearly don't.

Wow you're dense. Highway riding is not the OP's primary concern. Reading comprehension > you. 

I ride a KTM and a Honda too... and I've owned Suzukis and Kawasakis as well. The fact that you think a WR450 is a 'girls bike' tell me what a &%$#@!ing idiot troll you are. Go hug a dick with your brand bashing immature bullshit and leave the advice giving to the adults that know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to bikes, which you clearly don't.

Touch a nerve did I  :p .

Only my female friends ride WR 450's boring_zps2dcea725.gif tongue0002.gif

"Curiosity killed the Cat".  superstition.gif

I gotta ask. What did the OP do to you to make you give him that advice  :rolleyes: .