HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RLV199

Busted case

6 posts in this topic

So my chain guard welds busted and derailed my chain which in return sent the chain careening into my case and cracking it all the way around where the clutch arm goes in..

I guess I am mainly just venting but if anyone knows where I can get a cheap case.. that would be great

As well as any info as to what I will need to do this wonderful bit of work. What should I look for that might have been damaged?

1405468907739.jpg

I had a chain break and bust the same spot on my 08 mechanic had a friend that owned welding shop. That guy made a mold off another 08 case and fixed my case from that saved a bunch of $ . Clutch works just as good as new. Go talk to local welder/metal worker.

2 people like this

I had a chain break and bust the same spot on my 08 mechanic had a friend that owned welding shop. That guy made a mold off another 08 case and fixed my case from that saved a bunch of $ . Clutch works just as good as new. Go talk to local welder/metal worker.

agreed i have seen this repaired before. a new case is about 4 - 5x more expensive than a repair but if a repair is done correctly and the cases pre heated before alloy tig welding. The repair will be permanent

What led you to the conclusion that the chain guard welds broke, causing the derailment? Under normal conditions, the chain guard is under zero load, with the only force applied to it being an improperly adjusted or broken chain. Just curious as to how this would be possible.

Edit: Are you referring to the lower chain guide? That I could see causing a problem.

Edited by swaldrop

If by "chain guard" he means the lower guide, those welds do occasionally crack.  If it broke free, the chain would almost certainly derail.