Tire size change

Replacing the mx51 on my 450 which is a 120/90. I'm partial to maxxis IT. My local shop only has 110/100. Anybody see any regrets I may have with this change. Someone told me manufacturers and thier sizing differ slightly from each other, so cam paring the numbers may not be like apples to apples. Just looking for some different opinions running a 110 on a 450.

Adding to the good input already given, if you're partial to that Maxxis and the local shop has one then I see it as a 2/3 chance you'll be satisfied with it. What are your other options at that local shop? Worse case scenario: you ride more to  wear out the tire you're not 100% fond of, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing (riding more).

Weird.... i was just coming here to post the same question. I only ran Maxxis on my old bike and really liked them. The MX51 on the back has been decent but the front blows IMO. I'm going with the Maxxis Maxxcross IT front and rear tire. I think the rear only comes in as a 110/100 for an 18inch wheel.

So many good options with tires, riders love the Maxxis rear but no the front so much. You really should consider among all your options the Bridgestone M403 for the front. It's a very popular front tire it sticks and no wash out. Check out Rockymtn on it for all the hundreds of reviews. There also a few guys Greyracer on the yz forum who love the M203 for even the intermediate and firm conditions. You get that much more stick. It might wear out a little quicker but who cares, we should probably replace the front more then we do. Edited by RMK800

Interested to hear what you think if you do the swap, avlisj as I'm considering something similar myself.

So I did the change to the 110 maxxis. Got a couple days on a mx track and got nothing but good to say. Like someone previously said it shifts side to side easier in the the turns. Track got real loose and sandy throughout the day and traction was not an issue. Would still loft the front end up. Even when I didn't want it to. Friend also brought up the point that as it wears it doesn't get as square as a 120 so it maintains the rounded profile that allows the easier side to movement of the bike.

I'm confident it will be perfect in the woods

• Like 1

Now about that front end.

Still got original tire and always wants to wash or walk over the berm when exiting. Pretty much kills your confidence to power out of a turn.

I'm coming off a rm 250 wich turn on a rail. And I know my skills are what's causing the 450 to do this. But.

Does lowering the fork height help this.

Any body have experience to changes you need to make in riding style for 250 2t to 450 4t.

Yes I know sitting on the gas cap also helps.

I

Now about that front end.

Still got original tire and always wants to wash or walk over the berm when exiting. Pretty much kills your confidence to power out of a turn.

I'm coming off a rm 250 wich turn on a rail. And I know my skills are what's causing the 450 to do this. But.

Does lowering the fork height help this.

Any body have experience to changes you need to make in riding style for 250 2t to 450 4t.

Yes I know sitting on the gas cap also helps.

I

New 450's are different which one do you have?

New 450's are different which one do you have?

I got a '14 wr450 with comp ecu and no map. All 0's. Powercore 4 muffler. Real snappy off bottom. Feels like my 250 but power keeps on pulling on the 450.

Love the bike

Just gotta learn how ride it

I run a 403/404 set up with a 110 rear right now and I've been very happy with it. Turns great, traction up front is very acceptable. Worlds better than the stock Dunlop 739. I'm about to mount up a 110 AT81 RC tonight. I ride mostly desert hard pack and sand. I have no concept of "good dirt." The Bridgestones have been very good, but it's time for a new rear and I read good things about the AT81.

But anyway, 120 to 110 should be no big deal. Same traction pretty much, less weight, slightly quicker turning. Go for it.

Let us know how you like that compared to the 404. My MX 71 is about to go and would like to try something different.

Have you ever tried the Michelin s12? That thing looks nasty. I really like Michelin for car and SUV with getting 70k out of their tires but don't know about their dirt bike tires.

Funny you mention it - I just put an S12 on the front of my YZ last night and I have a new MX71 for the rear that came with the bike. How did you like that tire? I've never run Michelins before, but I do see tons of guys running them in the desert racing series out here. I will report back on the 110 AT81 after this weekend.

Funny you mention it - I just put an S12 on the front of my YZ last night and I have a new MX71 for the rear that came with the bike. How did you like that tire? I've never run Michelins before, but I do see tons of guys running them in the desert racing series out here. I will report back on the 110 AT81 after this weekend.

I like the MX71, I had a Maxxis Desert IT before that. I ride 60% hard rock and 40% desert riding here in Utah. The MX 71 knobies are so thick it would be very difficult for the tire to chunk. There a very good tire in rocky conditions, but the knobies are thick and very close it's not quite as good in the desert. I still like it better then the Maxxis, the Maxxis wore very flat on top and the MX71 wears more rounded. Maxxis is a good tire also, I just didn't like how it wears down.

I'm tempted to go with the Michelin, 404, AT81 or might wait for the MX52. If it would come out in fall for an 18 inch rim. I'm going to try a little softer tire then the MX 71 this time around.

So I did the change to the 110 maxxis. Got a couple days on a mx track and got nothing but good to say. Like someone previously said it shifts side to side easier in the the turns. Track got real loose and sandy throughout the day and traction was not an issue. Would still loft the front end up. Even when I didn't want it to. Friend also brought up the point that as it wears it doesn't get as square as a 120 so it maintains the rounded profile that allows the easier side to movement of the bike.

I'm confident it will be perfect in the woods

Thanks, sounds like its gonna be a good option! I guess if I find I need a little more traction up the beach I can always let a few psi out anyway.

Best set up I've found so far for my 2012 WR is a Maxxis Maxx cross IT 120/100x18 rear and Maxxis Maxx cross EN 90/90x21 front. I've got about 300 to 400km on the pair and am very pleased. I had two very muddy races right after I mounted the tires and they gave me a lot more confidence coming into off camber corners and on slick side hills, still no complaints in the dryer conditions now.

I couldn't get the stock front tire off fast enough, it probably has 80% life left.

• Like 1