HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RMK800

2007 rear shock

8 posts in this topic

This could probably be posted to the suspension forum but I'll try the specific forum first.

I noticed the other day after a long ride that I want and put my kickstand down and the bike was about to fall over. What I figured out is that the rear shock isn't extracting out fully. I reset my settings but I didn't reset the static or race sag. Didn't seem to help.

Shouldn't the spring atleast extract the shock out fully?

Maybe it's time for a rebuild, but not sure. I never touched the rear shock before, besides taking it out for the carb.

Gotta set you sag

There should be 25+mm of sag with no one on the bike, and 100+mm with.

Your spring lock nut may be loose, causing the spring tension nut to loosen on it's own....

If the shock won't extend, the shaft is probably bent from not serviceing the top and bottom joints.

Rmk, I have a wr450f 08 rear shock i just took off because I swapped to yz suspension front and rear. $60 and it's yours if you want?

Rmk, I have a wr450f 08 rear shock i just took off because I swapped to yz suspension front and rear. $60 and it's yours if you want?

Have you noticed a difference in the shock going to the YZ? I did the forks and when I had ENZO do them and re-do the back (from a different tuner) I mentioned I was gonna get a YZ shock. He said that he can valve them the same and the only difference is a slightly larger shaft. I am still on the fence as I have heard that from 2 different tuners. I was thinking that just having the larger shaft might be the added difference which still would be beneficial so I was gonna do it but when he said that along with what the other tuner said, I have yet to pull the trigger.

Honestly just put the YZ shock on Tuesday and have not had a chance to go on a ride, shaft is larger and travel slightly longer. Didn't notice much difference in feel playing around on a few obstacles. I've searched and searched the web for differences, most say its not a big deal, even our local suspension guy says they are about the same. The forks are a huge improvement, I just had the stock forks rebuilt and revalved a month ago and they are much better but came across a local guy selling both yz450 SSS forks and shock so I bought them and figure I'd sell the wr forks for what the revalve cost since they were just done. Any takers? I'm local in San Diego.

1 person likes this

Honestly just put the YZ shock on Tuesday and have not had a chance to go on a ride, shaft is larger and travel slightly longer. Didn't notice much difference in feel playing around on a few obstacles. I've searched and searched the web for differences, most say its not a big deal, even our local suspension guy says they are about the same. The forks are a huge improvement, I just had the stock forks rebuilt and revalved a month ago and they are much better but came across a local guy selling both yz450 SSS forks and shock so I bought them and figure I'd sell the wr forks for what the revalve cost since they were just done. Any takers? I'm local in San Diego.

Ok, sounds like 3 different tuners now are kinda on the same page about the shock.  I may still do it when it comes time to rebuild the back again, they aren't that pricey.

That's exactly what I thought Kenny, if your like me And my OCD, since I upgraded the forks I would want to balance the rear just because. I honestly can't tell a difference but it may be a different story if a hit a whoops section. I'm itching to go on a ride in the desert but it's way too hot now.

but it may be a different story if a hit a whoops section.

THAT is where I am focusing on and thinking what the hell, why not :thumbsup:

1 person likes this