Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ipsullivan

What skid plate for 08 YZ450F?

15 posts in this topic

Recently bought an 08 YZ450F, i am trying to decide what skidplate I should go with.  I ride woods/enduro so aluminum is a must have.

Seems to be quite a few options out there.  Most seem relatively similar in design, and close in cost.  I am just having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Ian

I got the GYTR for my 07, and seems to work pretty good.  I ride desert with a lot of rocks and it seems to hold up good and uses pre-existing screw holes.

I got the GYTR for my 07, and seems to work pretty good.  I ride desert with a lot of rocks and it seems to hold up good and uses pre-existing screw holes.

Any chance you have a picture of it on your bike.  It is hard to tell the coverage you get only seeing the stock photos.

Edited by ipsullivan

Any chance you have a picture of it on your bike.  It is hard to tell the coverage you get only seeing the stock photos.

Give me about an hour and I'll take some.

I had a GYTR skidplate on my 08, pretty good all round but waterpump coverage is marginal compared to some. Got stranded once when a stick bent the "y" fitting on the top of the pump to the point where the oring was wrecked. 5 miles away from the truck and a little bit lost to boot. I look for better coverage in that area now. Lol

I have that one on my 12, or it's a Scorpian anyway, they had to change the company name to Emperor. Much tougher although it's the type that clamps on to the frame with a bar and 4 bolts instead of using existing threaded mounts like the GYTR. Slower to take on and off but quality and protection is excellent.

Ended up ordering the heavy duty skid plate from emperor/scorpion.

Tough to make a decision when you can't see what your buying in person. Hoping for a top notch product, I will post some pictures and my two cents when it shows up.

Edited by ipsullivan

Got my Emperor Racing heavy duty skid plate installed today.

This is a very solid option, with great coverage. You would have to take a pretty serious hit to allow damage. And it does have holes in the right places for oil changes.

Its size, thickness, and rigidity makes for a tricky time mounting it. Especially getting the spacers in between the plate and mounting locations. But at the end of the day it is 3/16" aluminum so perfect fit was not expected.

I did not use the provided foam tape and core. Doesn't seem to have any vibration or extra noise.

It is hard to say if it was worth the $160 with shipping. Primarily because I haven't had any others to compare with. I usually go with a buy once, cry once motto. So I think I made the right choice.

My runner up choice was the GYTR plate. Mounting and removing would be much easier because it only uses the factory mounting locations. But i decided a little more strength wouldn't hurt.

Here are a few pictures.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408670616.214931.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408670656.847731.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408670666.947958.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408670695.897554.jpg