What skid plate for 08 YZ450F?

Recently bought an 08 YZ450F, i am trying to decide what skidplate I should go with.  I ride woods/enduro so aluminum is a must have.

Seems to be quite a few options out there.  Most seem relatively similar in design, and close in cost.  I am just having a hard time pulling the trigger.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Ian

I'm in the same situation. I'm thinking about the Moose one.

I got the GYTR for my 07, and seems to work pretty good.  I ride desert with a lot of rocks and it seems to hold up good and uses pre-existing screw holes.

I got the GYTR for my 07, and seems to work pretty good.  I ride desert with a lot of rocks and it seems to hold up good and uses pre-existing screw holes.

Any chance you have a picture of it on your bike.  It is hard to tell the coverage you get only seeing the stock photos.

Edited by ipsullivan

Any chance you have a picture of it on your bike.  It is hard to tell the coverage you get only seeing the stock photos.

Give me about an hour and I'll take some.

IMG_20140704_103045.jpg

IMG_20140704_103056.jpg

IMG_20140704_103111.jpg

Edited by mch

Thanks for sharing, looks like the GYTR is a little less bulky than what Moose racing offers.

I had a GYTR skidplate on my 08, pretty good all round but waterpump coverage is marginal compared to some. Got stranded once when a stick bent the "y" fitting on the top of the pump to the point where the oring was wrecked. 5 miles away from the truck and a little bit lost to boot. I look for better coverage in that area now. Lol

Looking at the heavy duty skid plate from Emperor Racing. A little more costly, but seems to be thicker and have more coverage than most. Quality looks excellent also.

Edited by ipsullivan

I have that one on my 12, or it's a Scorpian anyway, they had to change the company name to Emperor. Much tougher although it's the type that clamps on to the frame with a bar and 4 bolts instead of using existing threaded mounts like the GYTR. Slower to take on and off but quality and protection is excellent.

Devol is a lower cost, effective piece.  The Scorpion/Emperor plates look to be well done, too.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1404656694.547524.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1404656711.402026.jpgthe plate I pmed you about.

I put a works connection on mine from RMATV... $71 bucks....

Ended up ordering the heavy duty skid plate from emperor/scorpion.

Tough to make a decision when you can't see what your buying in person. Hoping for a top notch product, I will post some pictures and my two cents when it shows up.

Edited by ipsullivan

Got my Emperor Racing heavy duty skid plate installed today.

This is a very solid option, with great coverage. You would have to take a pretty serious hit to allow damage. And it does have holes in the right places for oil changes.

Its size, thickness, and rigidity makes for a tricky time mounting it. Especially getting the spacers in between the plate and mounting locations. But at the end of the day it is 3/16" aluminum so perfect fit was not expected.

I did not use the provided foam tape and core. Doesn't seem to have any vibration or extra noise.

It is hard to say if it was worth the $160 with shipping. Primarily because I haven't had any others to compare with. I usually go with a buy once, cry once motto. So I think I made the right choice.

My runner up choice was the GYTR plate. Mounting and removing would be much easier because it only uses the factory mounting locations. But i decided a little more strength wouldn't hurt.

Here are a few pictures.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408670616.214931.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408670656.847731.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408670666.947958.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408670695.897554.jpg