HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
macoroniman2004

2004 yz450 valve service...help?

4 posts in this topic

Ok so im replacing my intake valves..mind that the bike still ran good with old but getting hard to start once warmed...i got the old valves out and the seats in the head look ok but on one i can see a tiny..tiny sliver of light..now do you reface the seats or will the new valves wear in to make a seal the new valves are s.s. black diamond...or can i use lapping to get a perfect seal..really dont wanna buy a head for it

Any time the valves are replaced, the seats MUST be recut/reground/refinished to square them up with the new valve.  Lapping paste was never intended to accomplish this, but rather to take a finished valve job from a 99% seal to a 100% seal.  You don't have a seal at all. 

Lapping is a 50/50 deal:  an abrasive is put between two components and they are scrubbed against each other.  The idea is to actually wear the two together.  This obviously transfers attributes of one surface to the other.  In a valve/valve seat relationship, both the seat and the valve should have a conical surface cut at a 45 degree angle to, and centered on, the axis of the valve guide.  What you currently have is a properly cut valve, but you have a seat that is tilted off axis, is out of round, and the seat angle surface of which is no longer a "flat" conical 45 degree surface, but rather, one rounded over, top to bottom.  When you lap that, what you'd wish for is the valve to stay perfectly true as is, and all the grinding come from the seat, but the reality is that the valve will try to wear the seat back to square/flat, while the seat wears a rounded groove into your valve.  BAD.

Once the seat is refinished correctly, there is no need to lap the valve, nor should you.  You will need to use slightly smaller shims, but you should be well within the correct range.

1 person likes this

Cool beans im going to drop it off at my machine shop in morning i figured that would be best...he did my crf450 seats and worked out well ...thanks again for the input..greatly appreciated unfortunately i wont be able to see the finished product for a week as our wedding is saturday

Thank you gray racer for confirming with your knowledge...got my valves done and she runs like new cold AND hot!!..happy trails until the next break down lol

Thank you gray racer for confirming with your knowledge...got my valves done and she runs like new cold AND hot!!..happy trails until the next break down lol