Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YZ Yankee

Help,YZ426 feels sluggish after Changing to 18" rim

5 posts in this topic

I put a 120/ 100-18 on the rear, now feels heavy, sluggish.I'm running a50t sprocket. Any suggestion on how to accommodate the new rim.

That rear tire is considerably heavier than the 110/90x19 it was built for.  I never liked the feel of them. 

There is no mechanical compensation available to offset it, except maybe gear it lower so it can accelerate the wheel more easily.  The bike will handle differently in the air, too.

Thanks for the reply, I'll try a 52t sprocket and see how it handles. I ride trails and desert and thought the 18" would be better.

Pros and cons.  More "squish" and better rim protection with lower pressure, but much heavier, to the point where you really can feel it. 

Thanks for the reply, I'll try a 52t sprocket and see how it handles. I ride trails and desert and thought the 18" would be better.

Pros and cons. More "squish" and better rim protection with lower pressure, but much heavier, to the point where you really can feel it.

Do you think the heavier tire would warrant adjustments to the rear compression or rebound settings, regarding handling?