2012 WR450F for sale, list as new, should I jump on it?

So I came across this at our local dealer

http://www.cyclenationhuntsville.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=257899&pov=3356739

its new, kbb says the bike is worth about $5000 but that assumes some mileage. What do you think I should be able to get that bike for from the dealer? Is it as good of a deal as I think? Or should I jump on the 2005 crf450x that I came across for $2900?

were there any changes between the 2012, 2013, and 2014 wrf that I should know about?

Thanks!

Competition ECU, remove the throttle stop screw (ECU kit comes with the screw to use, but I just took mine out and never put anything to replace it), and the restriction baffle in the silencer.  Don't waste your time with the GYTR replacement silencer part that lets it breath a bit more, but is still quiet.  I still have mine never installed... if anyone wants it.  Fork bleeders are always good to get + a couple extra air filters, + one of those metal / reusable oil filters would be another good addition.

Competition ECU, remove the throttle stop screw (ECU kit comes with the screw to use, but I just took mine out and never put anything to replace it), and the restriction baffle in the silencer.  Don't waste your time with the GYTR replacement silencer part that lets it breath a bit more, but is still quiet.  I still have mine never installed... if anyone wants it.  Fork bleeders are always good to get + a couple extra air filters, + one of those metal / reusable oil filters would be another good addition.

this guy?

http://www.amazon.com/12-13-YAMAHA-WR450F-GYTR-Competition/dp/B0077CFPTU/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A34LMLXGK64LHO

added to wish list ?

By comparison, the dealers around here (Denver, CO metro area) are still advertising 2012 WR450Fs for $6990....and that is probably without fees and other stuff.  Definitely without sales taxes.

So the $5840 price if you can get it close to that out the door (without sale tax since that varies by jurisdiction), then it seems like a pretty good deal.  $5500-$6000 is about what i see used WR2012's asking prices on CL when they rarely come up here in Colorado.

I'd be surprised if you got a '12 for $5800.  I see a few used ones for that price. 

I got my '13 (with Yamaha end-of-yr discount) for $6,900 last November (before tax).  I looked everywhere and couldn't find a better deal.  Now I am trying to sell it.  I have it advertised for $5600, and it has several $hundred in extras on it.  Haven't seen any cheaper prices on used bikes, not even on 12's. 

Turns out after their destination fees and crap they wanted $7200 out the door, which I promptly said no to. I am gonna pay the 7000, but to ktm for a 2013 450 xc-w i think. And that price is out the door.

wow....$1400 more than the $5840 in the advertisement.  What all is included in the $7200 they quoted you?  Does that include sales tax (if so, i dont think you can count that since neither dealer or manufacturer have any control over that)  How much for destination, dealer prep, dealer paperwork fees, etc. that gets you from $5840 to $7200?

p.s. $7000 out the door (again assuming no sales tax) seems like a great price on a new '13 KTM 450XC-W.  Heck I see used ones asking for more than that out here in Colorado.

Edited by SilvFx

wow....$1400 more than the $5840 in the advertisement.  What all is included in the $7200 they quoted you?  Does that include sales tax (if so, i dont think you can count that since neither dealer or manufacturer have any control over that)  How much for destination, dealer prep, dealer paperwork fees, etc. that gets you from $5840 to $7200?

p.s. $7000 out the door (again assuming no sales tax) seems like a great price on a new '13 KTM 450XC-W.  Heck I see used ones asking for more than that out here in Colorado.

That price did include tax and everything, I can't remember the details of the break down but it our tax is only 3% here, so that bike at 6k ish is what I would have expected. Yeah that is a great price for that ktm, I think that is what I am going to jump on. The yamaha dealer wants me to call back tomorrow, they are gonna talk to their GM to see if they can do a better price (after I mentioned I was gonna jump on the ktm), but I dunno if I wouldn't rather take the KTM at this point anyway.

ps, I actually went to the dealer and got a final price on the ktm with tax and it was $7240 give or take a few dollars.

Edited by officialhopsof

That price did include tax and everything, I can't remember the details of the break down but it our tax is only 3% here, so that bike at 6k ish is what I would have expected. Yeah that is a great price for that ktm, I think that is what I am going to jump on. The yamaha dealer wants me to call back tomorrow, they are gonna talk to their GM to see if they can do a better price (after I mentioned I was gonna jump on the ktm), but I dunno if I wouldn't rather take the KTM at this point anyway.

ps, I actually went to the dealer and got a final price on the ktm with tax and it was $7240 give or take a few dollars.

Ok...so i dont think it is fair to include sales tax since dealers dont typically include in their advertised prices in trying to understand how it went from $5840 advertised price to $7200.  But if sales tax is 3%, which is $180, then they sure are adding a whole bunch of other stuff in there to go from $5840 to $7020 ($7200-180 sales tax).  So that is something like $1,180 of other fees.  The fine print on their advertisement says:

* Price, if shown, does not include government fees, taxes, dealer vehicle freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). Final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected. 

Can it possibly be that dealer vehicle freight/prep, dealer document prep could run nearly $1,200?  What other 'government fees' could there be? Did you have any other options added to the bike (I am guessing no)?  This probably explains why I havent ever bought a new motorcycle.  Last and only motorcycle I ever owned (sort of) was the 1974 DT100 that my Dad bought me when I was 12 and was my very first motorcycle.

If I were you and I wanted the WR450F, I would tell dealer that I was willing to pay $6,000 (+ whatever sales tax) and they can call the various charges whatever they want (as long as it doesnt exceed $6K before tax) and see if they will go for it.  I personally feel that a brand new 2012 WR450F is worth that kind of money.

The KTM might be worth the money too if that is what you want.  I cant say i have ridden one, but I own a Husaberg FE450 (built by KTM) and I have had quite a bit of trouble sorting out suspension and handling (which has never been an issue with me my entire riding career).  Very nervous or twitchy handling and i dont like that at higher speeds (a vibration or headshake).  Seems like a lot of stories from KTM guys I encounter that they had shell out for some pretty expensive suspension work and a lot of them (seems like 75% or more) run some type of steering damper. 

My buddy has a '09 WR450F that is bone stock (suspension-wise) and I think it felt great (compared to my FE450) right out of the box.  In fact, I liked his so much after just riding it here and there on the trails, i picked up an '07 WR450F this past winter for $2,950 as my back up bike and a future hand me down for my son when he is ready to move up from his WR250F.   Unfortunately for him, it may now be my primary bike and the FE450 is my backup...and he can stay on his WR250F.

Edited by SilvFx

Have you ridden both bikes?  If not, how do you know that the KTM is the right bike for you? The XC-W  and the WR are very different in handling/steering. 

Ive ridden a wr250f and a 500exc (basically the same bike as the 450), I liked the ktm a lot better.

Ok...so i dont think it is fair to include sales tax since dealers dont typically include in their advertised prices in trying to understand how it went from $5840 advertised price to $7200.  But if sales tax is 3%, which is $180, then they sure are adding a whole bunch of other stuff in there to go from $5840 to $7020 ($7200-180 sales tax).  So that is something like $1,180 of other fees.  The fine print on their advertisement says:

* Price, if shown, does not include government fees, taxes, dealer vehicle freight/preparation, dealer document preparation charges or any finance charges (if applicable). Final actual sales price will vary depending on options or accessories selected. 

Can it possibly be that dealer vehicle freight/prep, dealer document prep could run nearly $1,200?  What other 'government fees' could there be? Did you have any other options added to the bike (I am guessing no)?  This probably explains why I havent ever bought a new motorcycle.  Last and only motorcycle I ever owned (sort of) was the 1974 DT100 that my Dad bought me when I was 12 and was my very first motorcycle.

If I were you and I wanted the WR450F, I would tell dealer that I was willing to pay $6,000 (+ whatever sales tax) and they can call the various charges whatever they want (as long as it doesnt exceed $6K before tax) and see if they will go for it.  I personally feel that a brand new 2012 WR450F is worth that kind of money.

The KTM might be worth the money too if that is what you want.  I cant say i have ridden one, but I own a Husaberg FE450 (built by KTM) and I have had quite a bit of trouble sorting out suspension and handling (which has never been an issue with me my entire riding career).  Very nervous or twitchy handling and i dont like that at higher speeds (a vibration or headshake).  Seems like a lot of stories from KTM guys I encounter that they had shell out for some pretty expensive suspension work and a lot of them (seems like 75% or more) run some type of steering damper. 

My buddy has a '09 WR450F that is bone stock (suspension-wise) and I think it felt great (compared to my FE450) right out of the box.  In fact, I liked his so much after just riding it here and there on the trails, i picked up an '07 WR450F this past winter for $2,950 as my back up bike and a future hand me down for my son when he is ready to move up from his WR250F.   Unfortunately for him, it may now be my primary bike and the FE450 is my backup...and he can stay on his WR250F.

Well here is the ad for the ktm: http://www.midwaycycle.com/2013KTM450-XC-W-inventory.htm?id=597491&used=1&vin=

and they were able to give me THAT price + tax out the door (I pick it up next thursday by the way)

The yamaha dealer is terrible about adding fees, and I tried that, I told them 6200 out the door (so 6 + tax) and they didnt drop a penny on their initial offer of the 7200 out the door. Which if im spending 7200 id rather just spend 8000 and get a 2015 in a few months from our other yamaha dealer that WILL give me msrp out the door.  But that KTM was too good of a deal to pass up. In truth, I really wanted a Zero FX but 12k is a bit much right now lol

I don't mind the vibes too much, and I am a pretty easy rider in truth, I presently use an XR650L and Im tired of being the back of the pack all the time. Its a great bike, just not fast, and very heavy. I have seen the opposite with the KTM guys acutually, they always need some small stuff that breaks, but never anything major, they seem to be pretty reliable. I would guess the suspension work would be a thing more if I were racing or knew people who did, but I tend to be on the single track or exploring odd offroad areas in town. I am keeping the xr though.

Thanks for the input guys! I love motorbikes ?