Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucka

Wr450 with yz250 motor headache

15 posts in this topic

Hello

I have just bought a 2008 wr450 that is immaculate and old owner had a wiring issue.

Got it home and realised its got a yz 250 motor in it.... Not happy anyway I can't work out what they have done with the wiring and was wondering if anyone with a wr450 engine could post a few pics of what goes to what etc mainly the connectors and the location of the cdi all the wiring for the 450 motor seems to be there but I'm not sure.

I have a yz 250 wiring harness on its way to at least get the bike going but I will be putting a 450 motor in as soon as I can find one at the right price.

Also I want to make sure its a wr450 frame and not a wr250 frame. Is there any differences I could check

A YZ250 two stroke or four? If a four stroke, how do you know you didn't buy a WR250? I guess I'm confused here......

Regardless, a vin checker will tell you on both the motor and frame. Google them.

Mike

It's a yz 250 four stroke in a wr250 or wr450 frame. Auction paperwork says its a 2008 wr450. No vin to check

A YZ250 two stroke or four? If a four stroke, how do you know you didn't buy a WR250? I guess I'm confused here......

Regardless, a vin checker will tell you on both the motor and frame. Google them.

Mike

I have engine no. Definately a yz. Frame has all wr gear headlight stoplight blinkers dash etc.

A WR and a YZ use different stators, harness, CDI

So, if it has not been brought up to work with the YZ motor, the WR electric stuff has to go

I just ordered a yz250 cdi and coil to hook up.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the frames for a wr250 and a wr450

I just ordered a yz250 cdi and coil to hook up.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the frames for a wr250 and a wr450

Same frame

Same frame

Not.  '08 WR is 5TJ-21101-E0-00, WR250F that year is 5UM-21101-E0-00. 

The VIN number is supposed to be on the steering head, and any Yamaha dealership should be able to run down the engine and frame numbers for you.

Thanks for the reply. There is no vin whatsoever it has been grounded off its a stolen bike bought at auctions. I have the engine number for the yz250 motor that is in it but that is it.

Does anyone know the differences so I can check those differences on the bike.

From the engine number I worked out that its a yz 250 motor but I can't tell the year model of the motor. I have a yz 2006 250 harness in the mail on its way so I can atleast get the bike running.

So then what then us making you think you have a 450 frame besides the auction paperwork? I guess what I'm getting at is an "immaculate" bike wouldn't normally be how I'd describe a 250 motor shoved into a 450 frame. There would have to be some weld marks or homemade brackets as I don't believe they are the same mounting points in the lower end. The auction paperwork could be wrong, you never know what non cycle people are seeing and you might be assuming something that's not.

The YZ wouldn't be electric start, that's your first clue, but those can be removed so look for plugs in the motor. A YZ could simply have lights installed as well making you think that's what you have, I guess determining if you have a WR250/450 frame with a YZ250 motor or a YZ250 frame and motor with wrong paperwork and lights is the first thing I'd do. There are several things here if it's a YZ in a WR frame besides simply the wiring harness; most of the electrical components are different because a WR would have a battery and a YZ doesn't so there's CDI, regulator, stator, battery and battery box, the wiring harness is only one part.

Take some good pics and post them, maybe we can help you figure this out

Mike

Edited by miweber929

Your right mate i just went over the bike again and found a emissions sticker on the frame that says wr250fw 07. So wr250 with yz motor.