HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DatWR400FDo

Clicking Noise

4 posts in this topic

Hi, I recently purchased a 1999 WR400F, and today, a clicking noise started coming from the engine. It sounds like it's coming from under the valve cover. However, I just changed the oil and filter, and had to loosen up the header to do so. When I started the bike and took it out for a spin to warm it up, it started making the clicking noise after 2-3 minutes or riding, and gets louder when the rpms increase. Other than that, the bike seems to be running just fine. Would the header be the primary suspect, or am I missing something?

Clicking would not likely be header. If it was misaligned it would most likely suck air and you would get a backfire on decel.

Take the valve cover off.

Pull decomp lever and get someone to kick it over so you can have a good look and listen without it starting up.