Time for a new chain.

Well, I think my chain is dead, It is stretched beyond the limits and seems to drag more than it used to. My sprockets on the other hand look brand new. Is it a big ? to change the chain but not the sprockets?

Also, what is your recommendation as per type/brand of chain?

Definitely go with a o-ring or x-ring chain. Moose and DID are my reccomendations. If the sprockets have been on there as long as the chain YES change them. If they have been replaced recently you may get by. The standard is to change both together.

Definitely go with a o-ring or x-ring chain. Moose and DID are my reccomendations. If the sprockets have been on there as long as the chain YES change them. If they have been replaced recently you may get by. The standard is to change both together.

What he said. Pay the extra for a good chain. The original is probably the best you can get. DID EVM x-ring... I think. ?

I don't mind spending the extra $$$ for the best chain, but it would chap my ass to buy new sprockets. I took the whole wheel in recently to have a new tire mounted up, and pulled a new sprocket off the shelf and set it on top of mine. I swear, with over 1000 miles on it, you couldn't see any appreciable wear. ?

Man, I don't think I like you guys any more... ?

Ok then, answer me this... How about the "Primary Drive" sprockets from Rocky Mtn.? "High grade hardened steel" manufactured to OEM specs. $22.00 for the both of em, versus $70 for TITAX or $72 for Renthal. Anyone used these sprockets before?

Geez I really hate spending money on stuff that doesn't make my bike any faster or more fun... Know what I mean? $100 bucks for fresh rubber or 1/2 a horsepower is a whole different story!

It is not fun spending money on this, I agree. BUT>>>>if it breaks while your riding, the cost of a new chain and sprokets is going to appear to be very small.

I like the Titax brand sprokets.They looked better than th eprimary drive when I compared them side by side. The countershaft sprokets are excellent in quality and very cheap. The aluminum rear holds up quite well. I think the 70.00 price is for stainless steel. Their chains (all brands) are fairly cheap also.

For 100.00 or so you will get stuff as good as or better than stock. I dont mind paying the money for some safety and piece of mind.

I think that you were very lucky getting your stock chain to last until you used up all the adjustments.

I don't believe that is a very reliable way to calculate wear. I know Yamahaor anyone else would not measure the chain out so it runs out of adjustment when it is worm out.

i've used the primary drive rear sprockets on a couple bikes and have been very happy. i have not used the counter shaft sprocket. they may be fine but sometimes cheap is too cheap. with what you save on the rear sprocket, you can get a renthal counter shaft sprocket and still have enough to get the chain you want. don't forget to check out the t.t. store to compare prices.

I use the Titax sprocket. I was playing with gear ratios and found Titax to be cheap enough to buy a few different sizes. I only replaced the rear and have had no problems. I also bought an X-Ring chain and is worth every penny. I had to adjust it once after break in and 10 rides later the chain has not moved. No matter what it is worth the money. You might spend a little more for quality products, but you will spend more constantly changing cheap stuff. Baja Designs sells an Iron Man sprocket that has I believe a one year or a lifetime warrenty, I'm not sure. But non-the-less spend the money.

Once a year (equal to about 5000 miles of sandy, muddy riding) I replace my chain and sprockets whether they need it or not. ? The past two years I've went with a Regina gold o-ring chain and STOCK sprockets. The whole set usually sets me back around $100. (Chain $70, rear sprocket $17, front sprocket $14.) I usually go throught 3 front sprockets during that time but the rear sprocket and chain is good the whole year. Motto: don't waste your money on expensive aftermarket sprockets. Stick with stock and get a Regina gold chain. It's the best value chain out there. And replace them all at once because your rear sprocket teeth are probably spaced out much farther than a new chain would tolerate for very long.

I've been using the Regina gold ORN chain. It clears the case bolts no problem. I called my local Yamaha shop and the chain costs me $67.93 + tax. The rear stock sprocket is $17.89 and a front sprocket is $10.49. What a bargain!

I think that one of the reasons my chains last so long is that I use real chain lube, either Maxima chain wax or preferably Bel-Ray super clean chain lube, whichever I have available. No WD-40.

Has anyone had problems with a master link on the DID 520VM chain? The retaining clip seams like it could bend open quite easy, as the steel they've used is not that very hard spring steel. I managed to bend it while installing it. I hope the freekin thing doen't fly off in a couple of days. ?

How much do you guys pay to get a tire mounted? I think my dealer is ripping me off. $35 for the rear tire.

Are you pulling the wheel off or is the dealer. If they're pulling the wheel and mounting the tire, $35 is close to normal. ? If I were you, I'd just bring in the wheel. One place I go to mounts for free when you buy the tires :D from them. Additionally they discount their tires below what most dealer charge.

I still have the stock stuff on my current bike, but on my last one I ran the Ironman Sprocket/Regina O-ring combo, and was completely satisfied. The stuff is made by a small company who use what they sell. When it's time to replace them, I will definitely use their sprockets. Check out their website for more info... Dirt Tricks.com

Are you pulling the wheel off or is the dealer. If they're pulling the wheel and mounting the tire, $35 is close to normal. ? If I were you, I'd just bring in the wheel. One place I go to mounts for free when you buy the tires :D from them. Additionally they discount their tires below what most dealer charge.

I pulled the wheel off and took it to them. To be honest it takes about 30sec to get the wheel off so I think it's BS that they should charge anything extra for pulling the wheel.

They must be hitting you with a minimum charge. I'd take my business elsewhere. $35 is too much to change a tire. You might find a place other than the dealer to buy you tires. Like I said, the place I shop is cheaper than the dealers for tires and they mount for free. ?