HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rusty99

What side (left or right) do I mount a radiator fan?

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm mounting one computer fan to my 2012 WR 450. Which radiator, left or right side should I mount it? I suspect that a particular side might be effective? My bike overheats constantly so hopefully this helps.

Also is there a thread that shows someone who's done a fan with a on/off switch? I would also like to install a temperature gauge if that is possible.

Thanks

Russ

On my 2006 WR450 I had to install a 120mm fan on the right side because on the left there is just no space to install it properly.

I dont know if the 2012 model has the same "problem" here..........

Hum I wonder what they do to the WR450's down under that come street legal. The bikes get hot sitting in traffic and no fan.

Proper jetting/mapping and intake/exhaust mods usually prevent all over heating, if you use non-water coolant and a 1.6 bar cap.

If you do rides with lots of clutch slipping, then you will need a fan and possibly even larger radiators.

If the motor and tuning is stock, a fan is  required, but does not solve the problems...of running lean/ hot, just prevents overheating.

I installed the fan on my 2012 on the right side radiator and just use an on off switch for now. Its attached to the Yamaha branded radiator guards. I did have to grind some of the side plastic away so the fan wouldn't hit anything. The fan I used was also not a computer fan. I believe it was a spal brand fan.

Aaron

Yeah, a computer fan will work for a month or two, if you are lucky.

You need a motor with bearings, not bushings, and one that has a motor that floats in the frame.

...hence, all the kits.