headgasket leak after topend rebuild

I have a 2003 that i recently bought for a bargain, did a topend rebuild and have done 1st ride after heat cycles only to discover that i lose coolant and have a leak on the carb side of the cylinder/head joint. did discover that the 2 bolts on the RHS of the bike was never torqued up....... well done mechanic NOT. so the question is do I have to strip out and replace the gasket or loosen up everything and retorque all bolts and hope for the best?

Tx

I would definitely try re-torquing first.

I suppose you could, but it has a less than 10% chance of working.  Maybe less now that it's been run. Plus, in order to be done correctly, the bolts will have to be loosened, and in fact removed and lubed, twice.  The gasket's already been compromised by being run with a leak, then it may be further contaminated by oil and coolant when you loosen the bolts. 

Head torquing procedure:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/873863-cylinder-head-tightening/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all. I have just retorqued it first, but find it impossible to start the thing. Do I need to replace the sparkplug as well. There was a lot of water in the chamber..

• 2 weeks later...

Right so I calmed down after a beer or two, replaced head gasket got it running and now have a overheating situation? Pipe gets redhot within 1 minute, is this normal? Funny tapping noise like a knock, some says its normal Im like WTF? Starts easy took a short run and have a small oil leak out the headImageUploadedByThumper Talk1405696680.401853.jpg just above the exhaust to the right of side