04 for cheap or 07 for not as cheap?

I'm looking to snag a wr450 and I've hit a bit of a fork in the road. Good 2007 models go for around $5500 to $6500AU here. I was leaning towards an 07 or newer as this was the year the ally frame was introduced as well as a heap of other stuff. However, I spotted a 2004 model that hasnt clocked up alot of distance, and its going for about HALF the price of the 2007's Ive been looking at.

Ive reviewed the model/year changelist on here (was very helpful) but I'm still not sure which way I should be leaning with this decision. I thought asking wr owners might be a good place to start for advice. Is it worth saving $3000 bucks on this bike for sacrificing 3 years of better parts?

All help is appreciated.

My '06 is an awesome machine!  The only thing that I don't like about it is that the steel frame rusts, which wouldn't be an issue with the aluminum frame.  You could have the steel frame powder coated several times for the price difference...

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Good to hear the older bikes still go hard!

That settles it, I'm gonna go look and be prepared to buy (its a long drive, don't wanna go twice).

Honestly, I don't think I will be anywhere close to being restricted by the specs and considering that, I can't justify doubling the price for recency.

If you like I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

There really is no performance gain between the 2004 and 2007 so get whichever is cheaper and in decent condition.

Aluminum frames are a disadvantage IMO besides the no rust thing.

Yeaaaaah, but no.

The 2007 motor is more refined in build quality (less cam chain noise, refined head journals different porting, etc) ,  as well as upgrades to the clutch, piston, CDI, Stator, Starter, swingarm, sub frame, and triple clamps.

The aluminum frame is 1000% more rigid (extremely important if you are a jumper, cause the stock steel frames would stretch pretty fast....) which is a bad thing for trail riding (harsher ride) but a good thing for technical and fast off road.

A 2003/4 is fine, but a 2007-11 is a noticeable upgrade, and will last much longer.

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick
  • Like 1

Very happy with my 04, as mentioned above unless you plan on jumping a lot the steel frame works just fine. As with any newer model improvements are made, you have to ask yourself if those are worth double the price, in my book that's a big NO. Buy what you can afford ride the hell out of it.

Good Luck on whichever you choose.

Rich

Edited by RHeritage

Get the o7

I have a 04. For the life of me I can't see why everyone likes these things so much.

If I had to buy a steel frame wr450 again I wouldn't

It's fast with YZ parts on it

Goes great over whoops (Factory Connection)

But it's heavy as a two ton heavy thing and isn't the best turning bike. Got much better when I put the Rekluse Eaxle on.

I retired mine from the dirt and made it a supermoto.

Get the o7

I have a 04. For the life of me I can't see why everyone likes these things so much.

If I had to buy a steel frame wr450 again I wouldn't

It's fast with YZ parts on it

Goes great over whoops (Factory Connection)

But it's heavy as a two ton heavy thing and isn't the best turning bike. Got much better when I put the Rekluse Eaxle on.

I retired mine from the dirt and made it a supermoto.

The problem is the 07 is not any lighter than the 04.  The big jump in performance come in newest version with fuel injection.  The other thing is the Aluminum frame makes it more difficult to get access the carburetor and work on the bike. 

If the prices were equal, i would go with the aluminum frame just for bling factor and and having a newer bike but I wouldnt pay much extra to get it.  At twice the price the decision is a no brainer. Go for the 04.  I have an 06 and really love it.

Im thinking the guys that really like the steel frame bike or even the aluminum frame bike ride in more open areas. Maybe it's just me. I'm so much faster on a bike a bike light enough to lift onto a stand

The aluminum framed WR450 is no lighter than the steel framed one. It only "feels" lighter. But that "feeling" makes quite a difference though, I'll grant you that!

I like my 08 much better than the 03 05 and 06 WR's I had.

Felt lighter and handled much better.

The carb access is harder but once I set the bike up there was no reason to go back in there.

I can change the pilot and main jets through the access port in the bottom and change the needle by taking the gas tank off.

Every WR I owned was a good, reilable bike though.

Probably not quite on topic of title but just thought i'd bring some sort of conclusion along. Ended up buying the 04. Knocked him down 400 from his already low price to 2800.

Can't really say what I think of it yet as it's not ready to go offroad.

Has a few kinks to be worked out but once its going it accelerates right through to top speed without missing a beat.

The main issue I have at the moment is that it does not like starting or idling without choke. From what I've read this is pretty common. Seller said the bikes been sitting around for years so im thinking (and f*%@ing hoping) this is just the idle jet being a little gummed up.

Tried fresh fuel, with some carby cleaner fuel additive but no dice - so i'll pull the carby apart someday soon and blow it out and maybe soak some parts.

Other than that, it keeps blowing every new light I put in there! - indicators, tail light, head light, even the backlight on my speedo! Got no clue on that one, not being electrically talented. Is there some sort of part that regulates current from the battery? I'm sure searching around on the forums will get an answer soon enough.

Thanks for the help fellas.

EDIT: Found pretty much everything I need in stickys. Ordered a new regulator. Bike should be right in a few days ?

Edited by Wounded Lobster

Probably not quite on topic of title but just thought i'd bring some sort of conclusion along. Ended up buying the 04. Knocked him down 400 from his already low price to 2800.

Can't really say what I think of it yet as it's not ready to go offroad.

Has a few kinks to be worked out but once its going it accelerates right through to top speed without missing a beat.

The main issue I have at the moment is that it does not like starting or idling without choke. From what I've read this is pretty common. Seller said the bikes been sitting around for years so im thinking (and f*%@ing hoping) this is just the idle jet being a little gummed up.

Tried fresh fuel, with some carby cleaner fuel additive but no dice - so i'll pull the carby apart someday soon and blow it out and maybe soak some parts.

Other than that, it keeps blowing every new light I put in there! - indicators, tail light, head light, even the backlight on my speedo! Got no clue on that one, not being electrically talented. Is there some sort of part that regulates current from the battery? I'm sure searching around on the forums will get an answer soon enough.

Thanks for the help fellas.

EDIT: Found pretty much everything I need in stickys. Ordered a new regulator. Bike should be right in a few days ?

It is not hard on this bike to gain access to the carburetor.  Most likely culprit is a plugged pilot jet.  Gain access and inspect the jets.  If the pilot jet is plugged, it is easiest just to replace it.  You can try to clean it, I have used a single strand of electrical wire to work my way through it.  I would only do this if it was a long time to order one or you dont live near a place that can sell you one.  Other than that Congratulations on the new bike!

Got the pilot jet out after much frustration. (Nearly every bolt and the jet itself apparently tightened by the hulk himself.) Thing looks clean as, worryingly, but I'm leaving it to soak overnight anyway.

Had a tinker with the fuel screw while I was down there, not sure exactly how many turns it was out but I do not think it was much at all. I set it at 2&1/4 as I have had about 3 seperate people tell me the bike sounds lean when trying to idle. (Is out to richen?)

For reference, the pilot is 48 and bikes running a staintune exhaust. Also backfiring like a b**** on decel. Flames and all.

Gonna follow the sticky for fuel screw + idle adjustment in the morning. Hopefully clears up the issue. If not, i'm lost.

If it does not have one, now would be a good time install an aftermarket fuel screw.  That way you can turn it with out any tools and with out moving the carburetor. 

Also, now that I think of it, make sure the O ring washer and spring are on the end of the fuel screw.  I usually start with 2 turns out and go from there.

Edited by condor74