HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tpowers11

Pros & cons yz450f

16 posts in this topic

Only con I know of is the 4 speed. Heard it sucks in dunes

Heard wrong.  It is a 4 speed, but it works fine in the dunes.  Gear it higher than stock, you'll be good.  (I ran 15/49 on my '03)

Pro: Reliable as a sidewalk when maintained right

Very powerful

Shock is as good as almost anything

Con: Heavy feel (not really heavy by today's standards)

Hard hit makes it hard to manage at times.

Fork is not "great"

Obviously, revalving works, but it only goes so far.  Ultimately, swapping a set of '06-'07 forks on is the way to go, but they're hard to find, and because of that they bring a good price.

They're great bikes other than the 4 speed. the forks aren't bad from what I've heard. they're sufficient

Post some pics of the bike too

The 4 speed isn't particularly limiting, although the 5 speed is more versatile.  The first 3 gears are the same in the 4 spd as in the '06+ 5 spd models, and 4th gear ratio in the 4 spd is numerically 2/3 up between the ratios of the 5 spd 4th and 5th.  It doesn't give up that much top speed, really. 

Nice bike man, gray is right about the tranny. The 5 speed is more versatile. The 4 speed is just a little more limiting

Well if you're racing it, the 4 speed is great. I assumed you were trail riding it. Its not very good for the trails.

The 4 speed isn't particularly limiting, although the 5 speed is more versatile. The first 3 gears are the same in the 4 spd as in the '06+ 5 spd models, and 4th gear ratio in the 4 spd is numerically 2/3 up between the ratios of the 5 spd 4th and 5th. It doesn't give up that much top speed, really.

the 04-05 yzf's didnt have oil issues like the yfz 450 quads in 04-05 did they?

i passed on the bike it was running super lean the kickstart and shifter were bent the plastics were stressed it needed valve shimmed and said the motor was fully rebuilt 10-15 hours ago but no receipts or paperwork i just couldnt do it

Well at least you weren't stuck with a crap bike. There are tons more out there. if I were you, I would look for an 06 and up