Overheating in a strange way.

Rode my YZ450F this past weekend and had a weird overheating problem. I was going pretty fast uphill in 5th gear then stopped at a road block and shut the bike off. About 5 minutes later I started riding again but was going slow in 2nd gear. The bike would die over and over again as I let out the clutch. Its an 06 and there is a vent tube that comes out of the top of the head that was spitting out white steam that smelt like burning coolant. Ended up walking the bike to make sure it didn't seize up on me. My buddy on his 05 cr450r was fine when he did the same thing as me (going fast then stopping). Any ideas whats wrong with the bike or why only my bike overheated this way?

not 100% sure but that dosent sound like overheating issuse. maybe something worse :cry:  but i have no idea where to even start. im assuming ur coolant is full? and no carb/ engine work was done recentley? 

Edited by ekulb14

not 100% sure but that dosent sound like overheating issuse. maybe something worse :cry:  but i have no idea where to even start. im assuming ur coolant is full? and no carb/ engine work was done recentley? 

yeah my coolant is full... I was worried it could be something worse. the coolant is clean and the oil is clean as well. a small hole was worn away in the case a few months back right by the drive sprocket but it was welded back together

Kinda sounds like a blown head gasket due to the white stuff and smell of coolant coming from the head vent.  A blown head gasket would also cause the bike to run funny due to the loss of compression. Doesn't sound good  :( Good luck!

Edited by WYO522

Kinda sounds like a blown head gasket due to the white stuff and smell of coolant coming from the head vent.  A blown head gasket would also cause the bike to run funny due to the loss of compression. Doesn't sound good  :( Good luck!

Okay thanks. But when the bike is cold it runs absolutely perfect. which makes me think it might not be a head gasket..